Drunkard's Walk Forums
Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) (/showthread.php?tid=8598)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Logan Darklighter - 12-20-2007

Oh dear. My romie bought this a few weeks ago, and I managed not to be sucked in because... well, he was playing it.
Non-stop.
So I just figured I'd wait until he was done. Which he now is.
Oh. My. God. This game freakin' rocks.
See - I'm an old school Sci-Fi space Opera fan, who still loves his hard science and physics consistency. I loved GDW's TRAVELLER series of games. Have a big collection of the GDW and Digest Group stuff. Plus some of the SJG stuff.
This is like a Traveller game brought to life, and I am SO digging on it!
Problem - it -might- cut into my time for other things, like, oh, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, eating, sleeping...
Yeah. I'm doomed.-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Florin - 12-20-2007

I just finished the game on the Paragon path the other day, and it just gets better and better as you go on. My only two real complaints are that you never find out the motivations of the big bads and that the game is trivially easy on easy mode, but I suck so much at this kind of game that I was getting beat down on normal, at least at the beginning.--
SuPer Administrative Restricted Desktop Access? This is madness!
No Maya, this is SPARDA.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Ankhani - 12-20-2007

Quote:
Problem - it -might- cut into my time for other things, like, oh, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, eating, sleeping...
First of all, you should know that eating/sleeping, CoH, and WoW are all mutually exclusive.
That aside, I wish that Mass Effect were to be released for PC instead of X Box 360. I really do not like the console system. The games that come out on them are occasionally quite great, but little good fruit can come of a bad tree.[Image: smalldarksideoc5.png]
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
-Analects Book V, Chaper XXVI
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Kokuten - 12-20-2007

Quote:
but little good fruit can come of a bad tree.
O_O

Ain't a damn thing wrong with consoles, it's just that management pukes keep insisting on putting FPS on them..
some things just need a mouse and keyboard, damnit.
Katamari not being one of them. ^_^Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Alien dick waving contest - Rev Dark - 12-20-2007

www.escapistmagazine.com/...ass-Effect

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Valles - 12-20-2007

*pouts, not having a 360 or a video store in reach that does*

===============================================
"Reseeestunce ees fiutil. Yoo weeel bee Useemooletud. Borg Borg Borg."
===========

"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Star Ranger4 - 12-23-2007

Quote:
That aside, I wish that Mass Effect were to be released for PC instead of X Box 360. I really do not like the console system.
Huh.... could someone please explain to me just what the difference between PC's and Xbox's are then? For some reason I was under the impression that the idea for the XBox was to make a PC that impersonated a Console... ergo a title that worked for the X was an auto PC port, no additional work required on micro$oft$ part..."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Logan Darklighter - 12-23-2007

Well, in one respect the 360 is like a computer. Just sitting there, running the game, with me not actively doing anything in game that requires it to "chug" at all, it is hands down, the NOISIEST console I have ever played! The cooling fans in that thing run constantly and the whole thing sounds like a miniature A/C unit when it really gets going. I've had computers do that, but never consoles. I suppose that's one good reason to use the wireless controller with a big screen, so that you can have the silly thing as far away from the TV and where you are sitting as possible, given the wires, so that you can actually, you know - hear the sound coming from the games?-Logan
-----------------
-Adam Savage
-----------------

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Logan Darklighter - 12-27-2007

Okay - just finished Mass Effect...

Oh. My. GOD!!!
The ending is just SPHINCTER CLINCHING!!!!
Awesome beyond awesome!! I wondered if Bioware could ever top themselves after KOTOR, but they if anything, the Lucasverse was LIMITING their imaginations and ability to tell great stories!
My gast is most thoroughly flabbered!!!
-Logan
-----------------
-Adam Savage
-----------------

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Valles - 12-27-2007

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! ;.;

"Nyan-nyan nyan-nyan nihaou nyan!"
===========

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Sofaspud - 01-04-2008

Star Ranger4: you are correct for the original Xbox. It was pretty much nothing more than a custom PC, and even used (no joke) a bog-standard DVD drive that you could yank and slap into a normal PC if you so desired.
The Xbox 360, on the other hand, has pretty much given up on that idea. While it is still based in part on PC architecture, it's been loaded down with so much custom gear that it really is its own platform now. Granted, the software developed for it can still make standard DirectX calls to get everything done, which in theory means an easy port to PC, but in practice it's supposedly not quite so trouble-free. (I have not developed for the 360, but I've talked with some people who have...)
And then there's the mindset, as well. Microsoft *wants* 360-only titles, because they need to turn a profit on the blasted thing. If someone already has a PC, and the title is coming out on PC, then they *probably* won't buy a 360 to get the game.
This is why I'm half-seriously boycotting Bioware. I love their stuff, I've bought ALL of it until now (I even own KOTOR, though I don't have an Xbox!), but dammit, I've been waiting for Mass Effect since it was first HINTED at (I've even got the CGW issue that broke the story), and it wasn't until relatively recently that it was stated it would be a 360-only title.
Bastards.
Same deal with Bungie, now, too. Grr.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - jpub - 01-06-2008

Upon my first playthough:
1) Okay, gripe: What the heck happened to the AI on my companions? In the entire jaunt through the Citadel in endgame, they just stood around. Made nice cannon fodder, but I would have liked the backup, especially against ye ende boss.
2) I didn't find the inventory that bad. Really, once I figured out the algorythm they were using to organize it (Rank First, and then by type) it was easy. Besides, it made hitting that 1million acheivement easy when I could just say 'okay, I'm selling everything below rank 6'.
3) Snowblind Ammo KICKS ASS.
4) I like the face creation system, even though my character ended up looking somewhat goofy.
5) Combat was okay, although when I was trying to get some of the achievments (like, for example, that bloody sniper one) I was ready to scream.
6) I didn't mind the exploration/landfall stuff. But then, I would happily explore every bloody planet I could find in Starflight and StarCon2.

I'll have to play again as a Renegade. I did Paragon my first game, and went for the 'lesbian' relationship. Big Grin--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"

Re: Uh oh.... (Mass Effect) - Valles - 01-10-2008

Now that I'm several hundred dollars I can't really afford poorer...
...well...
Unlike most things, there is a One True Way to control a manually-aimed shooter game.
FUCKING TWIDDLY FUCKING MINI FUCKING JOYSTICKS IS NOT IT.
Except for that it's perfect. Except.

"Nyan-nyan nyan-nyan nihaou nyan!"
===========

Carpal Tunnel - SkyeFire - 01-10-2008

Heck, I can't even *use* the Xbox style controllers -- I always sucked at them, and these days my carpal tunnel is bad enough that using one for any length of time (say, more than ten minutes) is absolute agony. Not to mention that my already-poor accuracy goes straight to heck. I almost cried when I realized that I couldn't make it through Halo 2 anymore without resorting to the lowest difficulty setting. And yet I can still rock Halo 1 on my PC with keyboard/mouse, even if I can't play marathon sessions like I used to.
But! There is hope -- I understand that there *is* a keyboard/mouse controller made for the Xbox360. Once my Halo 3 jones becomes too strong to bear, I'll probably just order that, a 360, and the controller all in one whack (and probably ME too, based on the buzz here).

Re: Carpal Tunnel - jpub - 01-10-2008

Given, I hate using the right joystick for aiming, but it could be worse. At least ME uses it as an acceleration control, not as a position control. The latter works for mice, not joysticks.--

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Morganite - 01-10-2008

... Are there games that use a joystick as a position control? o.O
That just doesn't seem feasbile at all.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Rod.H - 01-10-2008

Well every FPS on a console uses a joystick for position control. What do you think the analog pads on the PSx & XBoxen controllers are? They're just sawn-off joysticks.
I've mentioned in some other thread that I've found Halo easier to play with a X360 gamepad, then with wasd-mouse. Still a mate of mine says that the 360 gamepad is better to use once the messagepad addon is fitted to it.
--Rod.H

Re: Carpal Tunnel - jpub - 01-10-2008

There are several FPS games on console (Metroid Prime springs to mind) that use the aiming stick as a 'deflection off center' control, or positional. So when you release the joystick, your aim snaps back to straight and level. Doesn't sound so bad, until you have to try to shoot someone who is above/below you and a good distance away, and discover it's a bloody pain.--

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Morganite - 01-11-2008

What I meant by "position control" is what jpub described in his last post. '.'
Huh. I've played Metroid Prime, and I don't remember that. But it's been a while, and I didn't play very far.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Kaze no Ryuu - 01-11-2008

The controls for Metroid Prime are a PAIN. The view is not only default centered, you have to hold down a button to change it... and can't do it while walking, apparently.
The only thing that even slightly makes up for this is that you can lockon to a target so you don't have to aim at all. (Of course, then you can't shoot anything else...)
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Epsilon - 01-11-2008

I've never had any problem with the Metroid controls. They worked very well for me. Nothing astounding, but no problems either. The controls for Metroid on the Wii, however, are pure awesome.
------------------
Epsilon

- Valles - 01-28-2008

"So, Sovereign, tell me something. If you're so superior and unstoppable... why are you wasting energy trying to intimidate some pathetic creature of
meat and bone like me?"
===========

- Logan Darklighter - 01-28-2008

Inferiority complex?

- Rod.H - 01-28-2012

*pops a rez*

Well with the launch of Mass Effect 3 creeping ever nearer to the time of Reapers darkening the skies (in about a month or Valentines day for the taster) I decided to fire up my Xbox and play some more of the first. Bosh'tet! Demiurge did the right thing fixing up the inventory and the Mako controls for the PC version for over there I killed every single thresher maw I encountered. On the xbox it's run away time. Still I should play some more, level up and get the good gear I've found before, it made Pinnacle Station a breeze & therefore I'd be hearing the Bleepbloop of joy pretty rapidly. On the second play-through that is.

--Rod.H (who has still to finish many a RPG)
"It's mostly ones from the Final Fantasy series, but I've some revamped classics I've yet to complete."

- Bluemage - 01-28-2012

I considered preordering ME3 for the 360.  For about three seconds.  For what type of game it is, I'd say that a controller just can't compare to keyboard and mouse.
Oh, and thank you ever so much for reminding me of how much replay value there is to be had.  My ginormous list of things to do just got "take another stab at a Renegade run of both games" added.
(It's fairly close to the top, actually.  Only a few hundred yards down.)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.