Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning the standard JRPG plot on its head
Turning the standard JRPG plot on its head
I'm sure you've seen this before: Spikyhair Shinysmile, teenaged amnesiac of few words but prodigious fighting skill, sets out to discover his past and along the way gathers a band of oddball companions and uncovers a heinous plot to recover some artifact of the lost golden age and foil it to save the world, possibly bringing a return of the golden age along the way or at least preventing whatever caused it to fall from happening again.

Of course you have. It's the story of at least 80% of every RPG video game ever made.

My question is how to put together a plot line to not merely avoid this tried and true and horribly overdone formula, but subvert and perhaps mock it a bit as well, without descending into twee or complete sociopathy.

My initial idea is to have the protagonist begin as the local Super-Emperor of Everything but everyone else has lost their memory, and therefore everything is falling apart, let alone anyone recognizing your authoritah. I'm divided over whether there should be a semi-standard system of character upgrades framed as brushing the rust off your personal skills now that there aren't legions of soldiers to obey your every whim, or if character generation should end with abilities and skills and super final attack sure-kill secret moves mostly in the state they'll be throughout, aside from equipment upgrades and so on. Probably a blend would be best there, but the right balance point would be critical.

Finding and dealing with the cause of the problem is the end of tutorial mode, or at most the first chapter, but there is no reset button involved; the rest of the game is... I dunno. Getting people's skills and purpose restored to keep the infrastructure lashed together enough that the world doesn't go completely post-apocalypse-grimderp? Build your armies anew and reconquer the setting with the help of various super-weapons only the MC remembers how to use? Something less widespread, basically becoming the bandit-king of a city state to maintain your own standard of living (and incidentally that of your immediate followers) and watch the world beyond the reach of your hands burn?

Is it actually necessary to send the player out to do hero stuff in order to have gameplay value? I'm not seeing a whole lot of options that actually sound engaging, and cliches become cliches because they resonate with people over and over; Tropes Are Not Bad and so on.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Turning the standard JRPG plot on its head
Perhaps have the main character start with amnesia, but eventually discover that that there is no big bad secret behind it, he just got a head injury in an accident?

Or he doesn't start with massive combat skills (though he might have a talent for it), and eventually learn he used to be... just a lazy, self-absorbed aristocrat who lost his memory doing some stupid stunt.
I recall reading (at least part of) one light novel that this reminds me of. The MC was an Admiral of the space fleet and a war hero, but due to shenanigans (and a conspiracy against him by a rival in the high command) was stuck in suspended animation for, like, 50-100 years. He wakes up to find that he's remembered as a hero... but of course everyone thinks he's dead and no one believes him when he claims to be the dead hero. So he enlists, or maybe gets drafted, and has to work his way up and figure out what's going on.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Here we are.

Dawnbringer: Story of the Machine God by Hong Jung-Hoon.

Korean, not Japanese, but still.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
How's this: A young person has been called upon by their father to go to an elite academy, but he never arrives. Instead, disaster strikes leaving the protagonist and a small handful of other survivors. And you must lead them back to safety.

And then the story progresses from there, with the protagonist unwillingly getting dragged deeper and deeper into the plot.