Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSODs around the world...
BSODs around the world...
In case you haven't noticed yet.

The Register: CrowdStrike code update bricking Windows machines around the world

tl;dr: Routine patch was buggy but got autodeployed anyway. Many businesses (including airlines, hospitals, and broadcasters) affected. Australia was hit hard.

Looking for a silver lining in this cloud... Ah! From CrowdStrike shares sink as global IT outage savages systems worldwide, Putneymead GP surgery in West London is asking patients to "please bare with us":

[Image: putneymead_group.jpg]

I know bear/bare is already on the Big List of Booboos, but the example is too good not to share.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: BSODs around the world...
And as it happens, at least some of my company's services have been knocked out by this. Fun.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
apparently it's affecting at least part of the US/Canada border crossings as well
[Image: crowdstrike.png]

"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
The air echoes with the distant laughter of penguins.

NOOT NOOT
--
‎noli esse culus
(07-19-2024, 03:21 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: The air echoes with the distant laughter of penguins.

NOOT NOOT

Linux chads stay winning.
If there was any justice in the world the entire chain of command that should've resulted in this mess not happening is going to get banned from working with any technology in a professional capacity ever again.

Knowing the way the world works, I am assuming that's going to be true of whatever poor bastard pressed the actual button, and top management is going to get away with big bonuses.
(07-20-2024, 07:14 PM)hazard Wrote: If there was any justice in the world  the entire chain of command that should've resulted in this mess not happening is going to get banned from working with any technology in a professional capacity ever again.

Knowing the way the world works, I am assuming that's going to be true of whatever poor bastard pressed the actual button, and top management is going to get away with big bonuses.

Well, yeah. The CEO of Cloudstrike was chief technology officer at McAfee when they did something similar in 2010. He founded Cloudstrike two years later. CAN HE GO FOR THREE?
[Image: jWCzYdZl.png]

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(07-19-2024, 03:21 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: The air echoes with the distant laughter of penguins.

NOOT NOOT

Laugh while you can, tuxedo-boy...

CrowdStrike's Falcon Sensor also linked to Linux kernel panics and crashes
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Considering I'm still running from a live USB months after failing to figure out what the hell broke my normal system install, I'm not one of the ones laughing. At the same time, the 'nix version of the problem wasn't even high enough profile to get commented on outside the industry while 'doze caused mass disruptions worldwide and hit mainstream news in hours.
--
‎noli esse culus