Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Canada celebrates Thanksgiving first because, well, Canada celebrated Thanksgiving first. It can be traced back to either a 1578 dinner that Martin Frobisher served to his crew upon their reaching the New World, or a 1614 dinner where the Order of Good Cheer celebrated their survival -- with Indigenous people's help -- on an island in the Bay of Fundy. (The Wampanoag people would help out some colonists at Plymouth in 1621.)

Eagleland Osmosis has affected the traditional dinner, though; most folks end up with turkey on the table. But only "most". Here's a photo of a typical Newfoundland Thanksgiving dinner (or, for that matter, a typical Newfoundland Sunday dinner), called a "Jiggs dinner". Yes, that's root vegetables and salt beef... and they were likely boiled together. Image from Wikimedia Commons:
[Image: 483px-Jiggs_Dinner.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Happy Thanksgiving!
My Mum had her Thanksgiving dinner yesterday (My brother and family live across the border in Michigan, so they don't have today off)

She cooked: Turkey, ham, mash potatoes, turkey gravy, sweet potatoes/yams, brussel sprouts, green and yellow beans, salad, cranberry sauce (both the canned jelly kind and the 'real' kind with actual cranberries), dinner rolls, stuffing, dill pickle slices and baby carrots.
For dessert she had Cherry pie, 4 flavours of ice cream, poundcakes (4 flavours), and shortbread cookies. Oh, and pineapple slices, raspberries and whipcream to top the desserts.

needless to say, I'm gonna end up with a few meals worth of leftovers. 8)
RE: Happy Thanksgiving!
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to both of you!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....