Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pacific Rim!

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
The robot basic design (where the robot mimics the pilot's movements) was a reference to Tosho Daimos.
There was a live action movie a while back (20+ years, I think) that had a similar control mechanic, but I'll be damned if I ever knew the name of it.

The "drift" is apparently generally agreed to be a reference to Evangelion's synchronization.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Do you feel that all this blockbusters are more of the same? That's because they are. Read this article, and weep: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... ingle.html
Or just get the cheat sheet here: http://www.slate.com/content/slate/side ... sheet.html

What I like are the not-obvious touches. Like how del Toro understands that when the heroes are doing something awesome, the theme music plays, and during that brief period, everything they do is made of pure win.
The sequence where they attack the Kaiju with a supertanker as a katana is a great example. The moment the theme music plays, you just sit back and enjoy. What happens next is pure, concentrated awesome.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote:NifT wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
The robot basic design (where the robot mimics the pilot's movements) was a reference to Tosho Daimos.
There was a live action movie a while back (20+ years, I think) that had a similar control mechanic, but I'll be damned if I ever knew the name of it.
Robot Jox
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote:Star Ranger4 wrote:
Robot Jox
Yes, that's it. Thanks!

Snrk. Robot Jox. Wow, what a B movie that was. [Image: banana-dance.gif]
What I recall most was that it had a completely gratuitous launch into orbit, just so they could do the scene. It actually had no point, and served no purpose in the combat sequence. They literally launched into orbit in the mecha, just so they could burn about five minutes of movie time.
Edit: On a similar note, there's a fan film out there called Pacific Rim: Training Day. It's a hoot. Take a look!

---

Quote:DRAG0NFLIGHT wrote:
Edit: On a similar note, there's a fan film out there called Pacific Rim: Training Day. It's a hoot. Take a look!
I linked that earlier Wink Its actually an official colab with WB and Polaris the Youtube channel. Thats Del Toro at the very end
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Well I saw this movie this past week. 
I'm still gobsmacked and I want to see it again - this time in IMAX if I can swing it. 

How impressed am I? 

I made up an homage to Gipsy Danger in CO: 

[Image: A6VsbfE.jpg]

I'm not subbed at the moment in CO, so I'm using a Behemoth AT. I call this character Dynamo Joe in game. 

TODAY WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!!!

God DAMN I love this movie! The soundtrack alone is awesometacular!  

OIL TANKER TO THE FACE, YO! Big Grin

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
I'm not subbed at the moment in CO, so I'm using a Behemoth AT. I call this character Dynamo Joe in game. 
Sir, I know Dynamo Joe. Dynamo Joe is a friend of mine. And that, is not Dynamo Joe. Smile
(Nice choice of name, though.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

What can I say? I didn't want to call it Gipsy Danger. I thought I'd go old school on the name - and ya GOTTA admit, Dynamo Joe would be an awesome Jaeger name! Big Grin 
I think somewhere in my collection I have almost all 15 of those comics. Awesome stuff. ^_^

Oh that's just... EPIC!  ^_^

-Logan
--------------------
(It's also incredibly cheesy. These two words 
are not contradictory, but complementary.)
--------------------

And... I TOLD you Dynamo Joe would be an epic Jaeger name! Big Grin
[Image: 1FJCIHG.jpg]

You photoshopped that one? That's an awesome piece of work!
---

Heh. I wish I could take that kind of credit. No - it's a fun webtoy I found here. I was kinda subtle about my recoloring and redesign of the bot. It's the Gipsy Danger Head, torso and forearms, with the Cherno Alpha upper arms, and the legs and feet from Striker Eureka. Here's a more clear view: 
[Image: tg5XnLs.jpg]

The guys over at Eyrie have already been having WAY too much fun with it!! ^_^

[Image: vnxRsBy.jpg]

[Image: bGQyGb6.jpg]

[Image: H590yDZ.png]

[Image: 0aFmcKf.jpg]

[Image: hGN3r9f.jpg]

Yeah, that website's too much fun....
[Image: 058361695fdb9cafef60a0bf18d77a67fce0ef90_r.png]
RE: Pacific Rim!
Okay - I GOTTA give this guy some MAD PROPS for skills. He really gets the awesome EPIC scale of the music and I consider this to be worthy of addition to anyone's Pacific Rim soundtrack collection. 

And yes, that's him - on EVERY instrument!