Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Top Gear" as an anime....
"Top Gear" as an anime....
...specifically, an anime about moe high-school girl motorcycle enthusiasts.
My thought that this was "Top Gear, gender-flipped, Japanized, and animated" essentially came at a scene about 4min into the first episode that... well, envision The Stig as a Japanese schoolgirl.

I'm just trying to decide if "Clarkson" would be Onsa, or Rin.  Hane... prrrrobably May?

EDIT:  Okay, Clarkson=Rin, and Hammond=Onsa.  Hane is the only one clueless enough to be May.

The Wikipedia article explicitly compares the girl who never talks and whose face is never shown to The Stig.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

This has been circulating for a while:
[Image: RPOeq77.jpg]
Clarkson/Onsa = Puffy hair and bashes on the other's favorite car/bike maker.
May/Hane = Are considered slow (Hana rides a bike) and are somewhat passive.
Hammond/Rin = Fanboys of a specific maker and are often bashed by no other than Clarkson/Onsa.
Stig/Raimu =  Obvious... and it is notable that she has been the high school sempai of people who are currently 50-year old, so you got the mystique right there

The question is... is Raimu an explicit shout-out to the Stig? It's hard not to see her as such...
Edit:  I just realized... Onsa's look reminds me of Stockard Channing in Grease...  And Raimu's got to have one hell of a chin, on the order of Jay Leno's, given how it peeks out from under her helmet...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
And Raimu's got to have one hell of a chin, on the order of Jay Leno's, given how it peeks out from under her helmet...
Assuming that is supposed to be her chin, and not some accessory -- comms gear, maybe? -- that just happens to look like a chin in the pictures.Edit:  Granted, it certainly appears to be the same color as her skin....
-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
-----

looks interesting, will look for it locally

...It just occurs to me that I now need to write a BAKUON!! nanoStep, just for the meeting of the motorcycles...
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Stig/Raimu = Obvious... and it is notable that she has been the high school sempai of people who are currently 50-year old, so you got the mystique right there
I think you're overestimating the principal's age -- she doesn't look to be out of her thirties, and the timespans cited support that.
-- Bob
---------

I wasn't going to mention this, to avoid spoilers, but yeah, Wikipedia also says Raimu's in her thirties....
And Onsa and Rin can join forces to talk trash about Doug's bike, since it's not made by either of their favorite manufacturers.  Doug counterattacks with "wabbity" wisecracking....
-----

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I think you're overestimating the principal's age -- she doesn't look to be out of her thirties, and the timespans cited support that.
Last episode a pair of racers that looked well into their forties at least were calling her Raimu-sempai. That's what I was referring to.

I've gotten far enough that I've seen material where the principal is referring to things in her high school days as "twenty years ago". That adds up to mid-thirties.

And I think Onsa would appreciate a custom-built bike, DHB, even if it's constructed around a non-existent Mitsubishi model. (Heh, more evidence of the radical divergences behind the BGC universe... the original cycle that Doug customized was a 2015 Mitsubishi Nightblade...)
And this is such a magic realism world, between talking transsexual Hondas and Jesus on the road to Aomori handing out the Holy Grail to deserving high school girls...  The only thing I can't suspend disbelief for is how innocent all of those girls are at 16.  Even proto-badass biker Onsa is unable to understand what is meant when their teacher says how big a guy's motorcycle is corresponds to how big he is "elsewhere".  Unless this is a US-vs-Japan cultural thing that flies in the face of all the other Japanese media I've seen?
-- Bob
---------

Most works in the genre suffer from the same issue. It's for pandering to the otaku demographic that demands that teen protagonists must all be pure, impolute and as removed from any concept of men as possible.
It's just like the image idols are forced to cultivate, and forcefully extends to all-girl mangas or animes (Azumanga Daioh specifically lampshaded this in a strip)

Ah.  That I understand.
Meanwhile, a couple goodies I came across today as I began to draft an ATT page for the show:

plus http://cdn.awwni.me/sppb.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/pRJZN74.png.
-- Bob
---------