Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very happy (US) Thanksgiving...
A very happy (US) Thanksgiving...
... to all board members in the USA.

I'm posting this today because Peg and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the family this year, since her mom had surgery about a month ago and didn't feel up to the challenge this year.  As a result, it's unlikely that I'll be on the forums any time between about noon today and late tomorrow night, and possibly not until the weekend proper.

I hope everyone enjoys the Macy's parade and their turkey!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: A very happy (US) Thanksgiving...
Hope you all enjoy yourselves...

Oh, and some links for Friday: a recipe that uses leftover turkey, a recipe that uses leftover potatoes, and a recipe that uses leftover veggies.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Same to you, guys!
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
We used to have neighbours from California.

They invited us around for Thanksgiving the year they were here.

Having read our history books and seen what happened to the last group of natives to enjoy a thanksgiving dinner - we politely declined.

They left soon after.

It seems that that may be the key to defeating them. Like breaking the curse of an urban legend.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Our extended family group did the whole get-together and feast thing last month due to scheduling issues, which ended up working out well in terms of ease of travel and leaving people free to volunteer for the higher-paid holiday shift now and so on that we'll probably be doing something similar from now on. Letting Mum attend both the east-coast gathering with the younger of my sisters and then fly out to be with our older sister's kids and grands and inlaws in the midwest get together as well is also appreciated.

Whatever your feelings on the politics of the holiday itself, here's passsing on the good wishes to everyone for a happy meeting with your loved ones and plentiful tasty noms, now and in the future.
--
‎noli esse culus
How to shop Black Friday sales without overspending

tl;dr: Section headers
  • It’s not a deal unless you need it
  • You’re not saving, you’re spending
  • Carry cash
  • Make a list
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(11-22-2018, 10:30 AM)robkelk Wrote: How to shop Black Friday sales without overspending

tl;dr: Section headers
  • It’s not a deal unless you need it
  • You’re not saving, you’re spending
  • Carry cash
  • Make a list

Or, more in general, don't go in hunting for just deals; just keep in mind things you actually need, and see if they're for sale, and know what you'd be normally spending.

My husband and I don't go out for the weekend of Thanksgiving. And I only idly browse online sales. This year is probably the first year I've made a purchase online that was specifically in a "black Friday" sale, and it was specifically a game controller charging station that was on the list of things we needed.

It's going to help that we've both got hobbies we can pursue over the course of three days (not today, family is coming over).
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Note; when it comes to saving money while shopping?

Carry cash. Always carry cash. You generally have a much better sense of how much money you are spending if you have to take the time to count it out and read the numbers.
We got through Thanksgiving Day and the dinner perfectly, and even got the in-laws to take all the leftovers. We're still doing family stuff today and tomorrow, but I just wanted to let folks know that the stressful part is over for us.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....