Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IST Idea
IST Idea
So . . .

I had this idea.  It's an idea that will probably send Bob scampering for the hills.  Especially since it reminds us all how old we're getting:

GURPS IST 25th Anniversary

That would be 2015 (for those of you who can't do math), and gives us 18+ months to work on the book.

What do you need from us, Bob?(Other than for me to never bring this up again.  Ever.)

What was that old quote about a million voices crying out in terror and then suddenly silenced?
Michael R. Smith (lastfreehuman@gmail.com)
GURPS IST Aleph Wordpress (http://istaleph.wordpress.com/)
GURPS IST Aleph Twitter (http://twitter.com/IstAleph/)
Trek This! Wordpress (http://dthiller.wordpress.com/)
My Blog (http://lastfreehuman.wordpress.com/)

Oh dear god, it's been that long?

Oh god, it's been over a decade since Shapeshifters! Where the hell did the time go?

Um. What I need. I need my mom to not be sliding toward assisted living, I need Peggy to work shorter hours and actually be awake most of our evenings, I need someone to hover over me and point me back at real projects instead of the things that distract me...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh dear god, it's been that long?

Oh god, it's been over a decade since Shapeshifters! Where the hell did the time go?

Um. What I need. I need my mom to not be sliding toward assisted living, I need Peggy to work shorter hours and actually be awake most of our evenings, I need someone to hover over me and point me back at real projects instead of the things that distract me...
Bob, that email I sent you earlier this month...? Ignore it. You've got enough on your plate. Family comes first (and include yourself in your family), work comes second, hobbies come third, favours to folks you only know on the 'net come a very distant fourth.

And unless you want us to write the book for you, I'm thinking it's a no-go just now...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thanks, Rob. I literally just remembered a couple minutes ago that I'd not replied to it and had made a note to myself to do that tonight.

As for the book... let me see if I can work up a good outline. I know Steve'll go for it.
-- Bob
---------

Well, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I can't care for an aging mother and I doubt I can get Peggy's hours reduced . . .. You've got my email.

Thanks. What I really need at this moment is to remember to write the outline when I'm home, and the discipline to do so when distraction stares me in the face.
-- Bob
---------

Ah, yes. ADOS. [Attention Deficit – Oooh! Shiny!] I have that too.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Thanks. What I really need at this moment is to remember to write the outline when I'm home, and the discipline to do so when distraction stares me in the face.
Would it help if you had a deadline to meet?

Assuming it would, here's one: Get the outline completed before 7:30 on July 2, and http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/May_ ... rden_State]you can hand it to Steve personally at The Fallout Shelter.
--
Rob Kelk

Geeze, I haven't seen Steve in years. Maybe that would be the thing to do...
-- Bob
---------

PICS!

We'll have to wait until July 3 for those...
--
Rob Kelk

If it counts for anything, I'd certainly personally buy an updated edition of IST. I bought the PDF of the existing book some time ago, and rather enjoyed it.

Admittedly, since the UN system is actually part of my work - I'm a research minion - my matrix of enjoyment is probably drastically different from any other reader.

The concept of supers in the context of international organisations and a standing police or military force isn't unique, and the big comic book companies have done it. But it's generally not explored very in-depth - the most recent iteration of this I can recall is Justice League International, part of the new DC, but that was cancelled last year.

IST remains probably the best published treatment of the idea that I've seen, and I've actually gone out and looked for it. That makes it unique.
-- Acyl

Oh, I mentioned this to Steve when I had reason to email him recently. He likes the idea of a 25th anniversary IST...
-- Bob
---------

I believe I've already mentioned this, but in case I haven't:

Bob, you are free to use in this project anything I have posted to these forums or emailed to you.
--
Rob Kelk

Thanks. First thing I need to do is sit down and gather together all the contributions like yours that are in the forum, put them in some kind of useful order, and figure out what I need to string in between them...
-- Bob
---------

Okay, I'm making this official. I've started work on this, finally, with an eye toward -- as has been suggested -- handing it to Steve in person in a month or so.
-- Bob
---------

Considering (a) how long this has been locked up in your mind, and (b) the IST entry in GURPS Y2K was titled "The Wall," I'd be tempted to give the project the code-name "Over the Wall" now that it's finally escaping...
--
Rob Kelk

Heh.

Actually, on thinking about it, I could use that as a chapter title for the early 2000s...
-- Bob
---------

Well, we're here to help (I'm here to help!); just let us know. I can email you my work email, if you want it, but I don't think you'd really want to send anythere there. And, if you need anymore books . . . I can probably get those to you, as well.

Thanks, Mark -- feel free to look at the topic I just started, then!
-- Bob
---------