Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for sentai recs
looking for sentai recs
Being curious, I downloaded the Magiranger movie, and the first few eps of Kamen Rider. Magiranger seems aimed at a somewhat younger audience and I get teh feeling I'm missing a lot by seeing Decade first, but they're both pretty good. Given that my main impression of the genre comes from the Danzaiver character in Evil Zone, and the only previous sentai-style shows I actually watched are Garo (which was awesome) the anime Karas (which at least had awesome fight choreography and appealed to my transofrmer love with the any-morph suits) and a few eps of s1 and 2 MMPR, the latter having given somewhat less that the best sort of impression, can anyone give reccomendations for mare good stuff to check out? I've seen a nifty toy review for the DX Samurai Gattai Shinken-Oh, but haven't looked up the show it comes from yet.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Nah, watching Decade just gave you a very loose overview of the series.  If you want recs, here are a few.
For Kamen Rider, Get KR Kabuto and Ryuki.  Kabuto is just plain awesome, the Decade Arc does not give it justice, and the original Kabuto actor is just, well, awesome!  Ryuki, is a well developed story that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And yes, Ryuki was released locally as Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, which is good in its own way.
Edit for justice: I would be remiss if I didn't mention Kamen Rider Double.  This series is a good balance of Humor and Seriousness.  Also, the secondary rider, Accel is awesome enough to get his own movie.
For Super Sentai, I gotta say, get Boukenger, what was Operation Overdrive here in the states.  Its a good series, I'm still working my way though it.  You can also go with Shinkenger, which is Power Rangers Samurai in the states.  Shinkenger is a bit more adult than Megaranger is.  Also, the currently airing series, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, you go download, yes?  I'm pretty sure the first Five Minutes have been posted on the site.  If not...
http://youtu.be/AIdcMqsEjww
Two things about the video. 
First, its an edit of the first Gokaiger Movie and the First Episode, since both have parts of the Legendary Great War fight in the
Second, the community believes that when Zyuranger Red (Mighty Morphing Power Rangers Red Ranger Suit) punches the screen its a shout out to our version.
Now one other thing to remember.  Since Carranger (What was Turbo here) they tend to do 1 silly series and 1 serious series.
Second Edit for Justice:  Here is a site for torrents.  http://www.tvnihon.com/  They are one of the better sub groups I've found.  And they have All of the New Age Riders (Thats Kamen Rider Kuuga through Fourze)  Though Kuuga and Agito are still being worked on.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]

I only know of a couple of anime takes of the genre, and neither plays it straight: Shinesman is a parody, and The Daichis is a deconstruction.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Off the top of my head, I can definitely recommend Magiranger. It might seem that way and there all elements of being aimed at a younger audience, but it holds its own quite well in spite of that fact. 

I can seriously recommend Shinkenger, but yeah, it's definitely a more serious toned sentai. I tried Goseiger, but it failed to hook me, really and I stopped when I realised I was forcing myself to push onward. Gokaiger, the current one is another more serious toned one, with references to every other sentai ever and one of the more interesting power set gimmicks they've run. Gokaigers are munchkins. And hey, their leader is named Captain Marvelous.

On the Kamen Rider side, I second the Ryuki recommendation. Just started Double but I am liking what I've seen of it so far. I have less familiarity with Kamen Rider beyond those two, though.

Hope this helps! (And yeah, TV-Nihon is, so far as I know, the place to go for Sentai & Kamen Rider
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'Dynaman' for the parody....
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Well, I liked what I saw of Shinkenger in the Decade crossover episodes, but Gokaiger... they're pirates. Thieves (even historically inaccurate non-murderous thieves) on a boat refuses to connect with superhero team saving the world in my mind. It's the same reason I couldn't get into One Piece or Erementar Gerade. Maybe I'm just too ninja at heart to appreciate them? More likely it's to be blamed on Mutiny on the Bounty, Pitcairn Island, trauma from an extensively researched history paper on Revolutionary War era privateers, and a general dislike for traitors combined with the lack of honor even among themselves in Treasure Island, but being too ninja at heart sounds more badass so let's go with that. I'm thinking of giving Abaranger a try too, since Abakiller (an antihero... it figures) is my favorite of all ranger visual designs. The toy produced for the US version is one of the ones I'm most annoyed at having lost in the house fire, along with my MZ23 Garland, Great Saiyaman, YF- and VF-19s, Armada and Energon Overrides and TF Animated Cybertron-form Megatron. I actually bought two of the White Whicheverranger toys, one to be left stock and the other to have the armor mantle removed and given to one the of the black-suited generic goon toys from the same line, which were also kind of cool looking.

- CD, Ninja beats pirate, astronaut beats caveman, and engineer beats puppeteer. Booyah!
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Eh, gokaiger, though they are referred to by themselves and others as pirates, and have a pirate ship, are more rebels than pirates.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....

Well, I'll give them a few episodes to not suck, at least. Having watched a few of Magiranger I think I'll pass on more, though at least now I have some context for a HP cross I saw some time ago... I think it put Harry, Ron, and Hermione as Green, Red, and Yellow, with Ginny and Luna filling out Pink and Blue, but it may have been Neville on Green and Harry as Blue (that makes more sense versus my memory, anyway.) I think it might have been Luna's parents used in the MagiMother and "your father sacrificed himself to put the evil in the can, but now the can is rusting through" spots, but that may just be my imagining while trying to dredge up a bit of detail after seeing the original. It's as likely to have been based on the MMPR version and different in those details anyway. Shinkenger next!

- CD
--

Magiranger does have a bit of a less mature overtone, I'll admit. It's really strengths come in the later half, honestly. Their dad is a certified badass.

Oh, and I would be remiss for not mentioning this one. Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. TV-N is slowly working through it, but definitely one to watch. It's amazing to see it and be like, this is what got hacked into MMPR? (First Season, anyway). I've watched, for example, a good chunk of it and it's like night and day. Burai's story is easily one of the best so far. Gosei Sentai Dairanger, the series that followed is another. I was trying it, though, and lost interest with Kou. :/

Hmm. Is it a second half to make your jaw drop, or just somewhat better? Becasue it's not bad, it's just that nothing really grabbed me like Kamen Rider Decade did. Now granted, it would be hard to duplicate the exact circumstance of Decade's siezing my interest - basically I started watching and said "Holy crap, amnesiac dimension-hopping armor-henshin-ing hero, has a pistol and a sword, that's Daisuke (my RPG character) only with a more badass costume!" The marathon then began. Even so, He's just come form being on a robo-gattai team, so there's still a hook, logically speaking, for a super-sentai to grab. Ah well, I'll keep on checking them out. The Go-Onger uniforms aren't bad, though if I've counted right it's one of the silly alternates, and I'm really not interested in the Three Stooges as superheroes. (I played the Den-O episodes of Decade at double speed, it didn't make them any more annoying and they were done in half the time!)

- CD
--

Been a while since I watched it, but I don't think it was jaw-dropping, just overall solid and complete with one of the more awesome additional heroes(as well as villains. Wolzard rocks.) Go-onger is one of the silly seasons, iirc. But not one I've watched. Boukenger is one I want to check out sometime soon as well, though. (Another thing that might catch your interest is Machiko Soga makes an appearance in Magiranger(she being the actress who played Bandora(Rita Repulsa in MMPR). Her last role, too, iirc.

Uh, yeah. Definite silly on Go-Onger... it's the kind of over-the-top goofy that tells you the production team was having fun laughing at it, and I actually like the monster designs for the most part, especially Evil Plumber Girl, but not enough to watch more of it. I hadn't realised Gokaiger were multi-henshin shifters like Decade; that makes for a nice switch-up in final attacks instead of the same thing over and over. There's some interesting monster design there too, and the space opera setting is more attractive than Shinkenger's modern-day-with-samurai-drama-trim... Such hardship, I'm spoilt for choice!

- CD
--

Gokaiger definitely is up there as one of my favorites at the moment. There are bits that bug me. But then the use of the Ranger Keys makes the combat scenes amazing. One of the best ones come later in the series, and showcases the sheer inventiveness of the mechanic.(Not to say it's the only one, just that it is really well done). Shinkenger, well, I can't say enough good things about, really. Easily one of my favorite opening themes, to begin with and it definitely takes a pretty dark turn as sentai shows go as we learn a bit about the Gedoshu and especially, the differences between full Gedoshu and half breeds.

But anyway, choice is good. Smile

Shinkenger... I want to like it, but the morals they espouse are despicable. Telling the girl who's most dedicated to being a member of the group to get stronger or be kicked out? The same, if the rebellious guy doesn't abandon his normal freinds? Compared to that, a little redistrobution of wealth is nothing. Gokaiger it is.

- CD
--

I think a big portion of it is(whether accurate or not) is the samurai owing allegiance to their master over all else. I don't agree with that, mind, but it's a different mindset and is a big reason why I liked it, since it wasn't your standard plot. The four of them are his retainers and his family's task is paramount above all else. (There's some other factors that involve why Takeru seems to be a, well, a dick a lot of the time, but I can't go into those for spoiling.) Still, I liked it for the insight into a different culture, admittedly, taken with several grains of salt due to being viewed through the undoubtedly skewed lens of sentai, but the idea of a family fighting against ancient evil is an idea I like. (Plus, as I may have said, the opening is what did it for me too. I heard it and was hooked from go once I started watching.) 

Anyway,  you'll enjoy Gokaiger, I think. Smile

Oh, I get that, and like I said, I really WANT to like the series - I even know that the group dynamic gets evened out before too long, because the Shinkenger crossover with KR DEcade was only a dozen or so eps along and they were fine by then, but when I deeply desire to see the leader of the team get beaten into the hospital and the rest of them break up to deal with their issues, and just call the freakin' JSDF or Gojiira-sama to handle the monsters, I know that it's not worth the aggravation of pushing through to where it gets better. If it was a period piece those aspects wouldn't make me bat an eyelash, but trying to enforce them in the modern world is a different question - espescially when Green "isn't there for words like 'lord' or 'retainer' " (as he says in ep1) but (as far as I can tell without reaching the inevitable Dramatic Backstories arc) he just wants to protect people from the monsters. Well, that, and the general squicky feeling created by the cult-like behavior patterns, even if their origin is rooted in real historical practices - a cult of personality centered on a lord among his soldiers so they'll do whatever he asks is as obviously useful to him as it is a recipe for disaster by modern standards, and fictionalized or not the series is still set in the modern world. But in any case, Gekiga-- (facepalm) Right. Gekiganger. Not. Gokanger is far less focused on actual piracy than I'd feared, as you said. They say it during the credits and as part of their henshin sequence, and otherwise it's basically just that they fly around in a Age of Sail themed starship, and that's close enough to Spelljammer to hop right over to the positive side of the board.

- CD
--

I think, early on in Gokaiger, it is either implied or outright stated that the pirate appellation came mostly as a reault of Zangyack labelling them as such. A war of PR, perhaps? Make them less sympathetic as pirates vs rebels?' Only marvelous -tachi ran with it and started running their attacks on the Empire as piracy. Marvelous is definitely more of a closet softie, who siezes on any excuse to not seem like anything other than a hardass.

Huh... no Abaranger by TV-N... Any idea of other groups that might have subbed it?

- CD
--

None that I can find, really. The only groups I did find that were doing it were at 8 and 4 respectively, via 
http://doublew024002.wordpress.com/2011 ... ai-fansub/

That was all I turned up too. Meh, oh well. Oh, and to satisfy curiosity, in Gokaiger Ep5 the depowered but still operating future Space Police (Dekarangers?) relay the finding of whichever authority that they represent that all piracy charges on the Gokaigers' record are fabricated by the Zangyack Empire.

- CD
--

Yeah, that was Dekaranger. And I don't know if it's a complete fabrication as much a matter of viewpoint. Zangyack might see it as piracy, but everyone else sees differently. Smile Evil Space Empires should not go unopposed, after all.

A bit of a necro, but seeing as how the final episode was released by Tv-Nihon, not an off topic one. I can definitely recommend Gokaiger as a must see series. It had some things I didn't like, but was still highly entertaining. And the ending, well, if a show can tug at your emotions via people from shows you've never seen, then I think it's doing a good job. Highly recommended. Hopefully Go-Busters will not disappoint.