Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferguson, Missouri

ordnance11 Wrote:... DOJ most often would wait for the locals to investigate first. ...
Is that really SOP in the USA? In Ontario and Québec (and, I believe, elsewhere in Canada), any incident where a police officer injures or kills a member of the public is investigated by a completely different police force, even if it's obvious what happened. Letting a force investigate itself leads to ... well, cases like this.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

This is why most forces have an 'Internal Affairs' unit... a sort of Watchmen of the Watchmen in their very own organization. The FPD either doesn't have one... or it has obviously malfunctioned to a horrific degree.

That's one advantage of the Special Investigation Unit (the external "internal affairs" unit with jurisdiction across Ontario) - any police force can call upon its services.

Another advantage is that they're at arm's length from the other forces. Nobody has to worry about any conflict of interest where an officer investigates a co-worker, because they aren't co-workers (other than being part of "the thin blue line" made up of all police officers).

Anyway ... we're drifting off-topic, and I have to go to work.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
... DOJ most often would wait for the locals to investigate first. ...
Is that really SOP in the USA? In Ontario and Québec (and, I believe, elsewhere in Canada), any incident where a police officer injures or kills a member of the public is investigated by a completely different police force, even if it's obvious what happened. Letting a force investigate itself leads to ... well, cases like this.
No, it's actually unusual for any outside agency to be involved here. What normally happens is that the police force whose officer did the shooting investigates itself. The shooting officer is given a paid vacation while this happens, and after several waiting around six months for the media interest to die down, the investigation rules that the shooting was justified.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:

This is why most forces have an 'Internal Affairs' unit... a sort of Watchmen of the Watchmen in their very own organization. The FPD either doesn't have one... or it has obviously malfunctioned to a horrific degree.
Small town police..do you really expect them to have an IA unit?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And Here comes the KKK

Is it just me, or do these guys just seem silly?

Quote:Dartz wrote:
And Here comes the KKK

Is it just me, or do these guys just seem silly?
It's not just you. Keep in mind that being in the KKK means someone is too much of a loser to get a job as a cop, where they could persecute black people with official sanction.

Patient coming out of 45-year coma: what's the latest news?
Doctor: Nixon's talking about the race riots.
Patient: put me back in the coma.

This is pretty fucking rich. Egypt is calling upon the USA to show restraint over the situation in Ferguson. Kettle, thou art black.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeas ... 98860.html

I'm sure Wilson and the Ferguson PD are delighted to hear that the KKK's got their back -- it's just what they need to show Wilson's bona fides in the upcoming Grand Jury investigation.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, things seem to be calming down, but...

According to CNN, Darren Wilson's vanished off the face of the earth. No one knows where he is, and he shut down almost all his social media accounts -- all before the FPD released his name.

And these are a couple-few days old, but...

Ferguson police interfere in more news reporting, including trying to shut down a live CNN broadcast as it's happening.

Ferguson police officer threatens -- gun in hand and aimed -- to kill someone for shooting video of him. Allegedly he's been fired now.

-- Bob
---------

All the reports I've seen on the cop who was threatening to shoot people say he was removed from duty, not fired--that means either assigned to a desk job or given a paid vacation.

What the hell is with their Police Department? How many Barney Fifes ARE there on that force? 
Meanwhile, I'm not exactly sympathetic to the protestors at this point either. The calls for outright executing Darren Wilson disgust me. As does the looting, and the agitators from out of town who are taking advantage of the situation, and the whole bloody media circus atmosphere. 

Right now the excesses by the police are at least causing people to finally become aware of the overall militarization of the police forces in this country. That conversation is worth having. 

But the longer this goes on, the more I wonder if the cost is worth it even for that. 

Quote:khagler wrote:
All the reports I've seen on the cop who was threatening to shoot people say he was removed from duty, not fired--that means either assigned to a desk job or given a paid vacation.
"[Lt. Ray] Albers has been placed on indefinite, unpaid suspension from the force pending an investigation." according to this article.  He's not with the Ferguson PD, but from nearby St. Ann.  St. Ann Police Chief Aaron Jimenez claims Albers saw a gun in the crowd and that was why he (re)acted in that manner, but that in doing so he acted unprofessionally.  However, it apparently took a direct order from MHP Captain Ron Johnson to Jimenez to get him suspended from duty.

Just about everyone official within 15 miles of Albers has condemned his actions and behavior, and he's apparently headed straight to a psych evaluation next week.

-- Bob
---------

Logan Darklighter Wrote:What the hell is with their Police Department? How many Barney Fifes ARE there on that force? 

Meanwhile, I'm not exactly sympathetic to the protestors at this point either. The calls for outright executing Darren Wilson disgust me. As does the looting, and the agitators from out of town who are taking advantage of the situation, and the whole bloody media circus atmosphere. 

Right now the excesses by the police are at least causing people to finally become aware of the overall militarization of the police forces in this country. That conversation is worth having. 

But the longer this goes on, the more I wonder if the cost is worth it even for that. 

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalr ... rison.html

Considering the good officer killed someone and the sentence for murder in barbaric places like the USA tends to be the death penalty having some ITG's call for his death is hardly surprising.

But consider that on average there are 3 warrants served per household in Ferguson. Each. Fucking. Year.
Given that situation is is a wonder that there is not much love lost for the police among the locals? Also the protestors have stopped more looters than the police which has been more busy teargassing people using their first amendment rights and calling the protestors animals.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I just read a lengthy article which provides some good background on the situation there:

How municipalities in St. Louis County, Missouri profit from poverty

CBS Radio News was reporting during my commute this morning that the DOJ is opening a general wide-scale civil rights investigation into the Fergusion PD and is planning on digging back ten years or more looking for patterns of harrassment, excessive use of force, and other possible violations. When I find a good article online about this at lunchtime, I'll post a link. Unless, of course, someone beats me to it.
-- Bob
---------

*whistles* Oh man, there are they ever gonna find some skeletons. No, screw that, they're gonna find closets that qualify as mass graves.