Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There may be ruins of a second Viking settlement in North America
There may be ruins of a second Viking settlement in North America
CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.3515747]Potential Viking site found in Newfoundland

This could be another Norse settlement in North America (~600 km away from the one we already knew about), or it could be a mining outlier, or it could be a false positive. As the article says, "There's just not enough evidence to date to go either way on it"

But, hey - it's nifty no matter what this turns out to be, IMHO.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh great, more Vikings coming to America.  They're bringing thugs.  They're bringing crime.  They're rapists.  And some of them, I assume, are good people.
-- ∇×V

But only the rich ones and the ones the Donald knows are welcome.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

You two are horrible, you know that right.

LOL!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

A different article on this same discovery, referring to the use of satellite imagery to spot the site, called Professor Parcak a "space archaeologist."  As one commenter noted, How cool is that title?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

DHBirr Wrote:A different article on this same discovery, referring to the use of satellite imagery to spot the site, called Professor Parcak a "space archaeologist."  As one commenter noted, How cool is that title?
We simply must work space archaeology into Fenspace somewhere.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
A different article on this same discovery, referring to the use of satellite imagery to spot the site, called Professor Parcak a "space archaeologist."  As one commenter noted, How cool is that title?
We simply must work space archaeology into Fenspace somewhere.

And she is working at the University of Alabama. Proof the UA can do something spectacular other the college football. Despite the benign neglect.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Despite the benign neglect? That makes it sound like the neglect is very much not benign.

Here's the deal in University of Alabama. Roll Tide! If football is a church, Bear Bryant would be St. Peter and Nick Saban would be St. Paul. Bear Bryant already has a shrine at UA Tuscaloosa and Saban would soon have one as well. Money is no object when it comes to football. Which means money is an objection when it comes to other UA activities.

Also, you have to add the anti-intellectualism that lurks beneath the educational system. Especially in a Red State like Alabama. Football wags university, not the other way around. Which is funny considering Werner Von Braun worked at Redstone Arsenal. Or maybe because of it, that there is a skepticism towards intellectual pursuits. Smacks too much of elitism and none of the good ole boy mentality.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

and with that said, i must point out that at that point i would be a satanist as a Auburn fan (War Eagle) but all we have is a decent Vet school really.

Quote:Rajvik wrote:
and with that said, i must point out that at that point i would be a satanist as a Auburn fan (War Eagle) but all we have is a decent Vet school really.

Dang, I knew there was a reason you and I don't see eye to eye! Smile
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Here's the deal in University of Alabama. Roll Tide! If football is a church, Bear Bryant would be St. Peter and Nick Saban would be St. Paul. Bear Bryant already has a shrine at UA Tuscaloosa and Saban would soon have one as well. Money is no object when it comes to football. Which means money is an objection when it comes to other UA activities.

Also, you have to add the anti-intellectualism that lurks beneath the educational system. Especially in a Red State like Alabama. Football wags university, not the other way around. Which is funny considering Werner Von Braun worked at Redstone Arsenal. Or maybe because of it, that there is a skepticism towards intellectual pursuits. Smacks too much of elitism and none of the good ole boy mentality.
Friend, you just described every high school and state university in the South. Possibly in the entire United States.   
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."