Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
simulacrum (D&D housecat): I Think My Cat Wants to Kill Me by Doris Knight(?)
simulacrum (D&D housecat): I Think My Cat Wants to Kill Me by Doris Knight(?)
Questionmark because the track is purportedly an AI restoration of a 1940s record, but I don't know enough about music history (nor am curious enough to google it at the moment) to say whether that's true.

link

(lyrics in description)

Simply enough, this song calls up the simulacrum of what appears to be a common housecat, but which has fighting abilities capable of killing 3-4 normal human civilians per six seconds. Doug rarely needs to do anything like that and generally has better options if he does, but the cat is also agile and tough enough to make a good distraction against more durable foes, and can respawn up to eight times if destroyed as long as there's still time left in the song. It's also cute and fluffy, and under Doug's control more willing to let a stranger hug and pet it than most real cats if he needs to distract a comfort someone while taking care of business.

More importantly, it lets him actually pull the old gag where a lookout hears something and investigates, but only finds a cat rustling around in the garbage cans or whatever, without using up a less situationally specific song.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: simulacrum (D&D housecat): I Think My Cat Wants to Kill Me by Doris Knight(?)
I've never heard of a jazz artist named Doris Knight, and apparently neither has Discogs. (Doris Duke established a foundation that benefits artists, but she wasn't a performer herself.)

The breaks in the bridge aren't where a '40s songwriter would put them, either.

And that picture is obvious CG.

So... I suspect this is an AI creation.

EDIT: D'oh! "Doris Knight" instead of "Doris Day". Yeah, it's AI.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: simulacrum (D&D housecat): I Think My Cat Wants to Kill Me by Doris Knight(?)
There is an interesting question, however, in 'does it matter if an AI generated the music?'
Yeah, that channel is one of a couple using AI to create fake "oldies", like this one. I've been intermittently following a couple of them (as well as mash-up channel There, I Ruined It) the last few months.

And no, it doesn't matter if an AI generated the music. If it has lyrics, a melody and a beat, it stands a chance of causing a power, assuming the lyrics are not so random as to be nonsensical. (And even then...)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If nonsensical, there is a risk of random/extremely weird events as the song plays?
There's a risk of random, extremely weird events anytime Doug is present, song or not Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
I do wonder how Doug is affected around Bard types, come to think of it, the wandering one-person performances...
(06-14-2024, 08:51 PM)Vulpis Wrote: I do wonder how Doug is affected around Bard types, come to think of it, the wandering one-person performances...

Well...

(06-13-2024, 08:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... If it has lyrics, a melody and a beat, it stands a chance of causing a power, assuming the lyrics are not so random as to be nonsensical. (And even then...)

And presumably he could ask for a particular song.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(06-14-2024, 06:08 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: There's a risk of random, extremely weird events anytime Doug is present, song or not Tongue

[Image: 9QNgRx2.jpg]
I have the strong feeling that it's Doug's reaction to the music that matters, not any qualities of the music itself, aside from the aforementioned lyrics and accompaniment, and being "good music" in his opinion. other people's magic carried with it probably works normally and independently, or at least normally for "magic used on Doug." Obviously Bob and/or his V&V GM are the only ones who can give a solid answer, but it's the impression that I get.

I do find I have a related question, though - what about auditory illusions or hallucinations? Like, a magical recording that only plays for the person holding the item, or a psychic triggering a sense-memory, or the classic "HAHAHA! Now we are within the mind, an arena where I reign supreme and you are an unarmed infant!"
--
‎noli esse culus