Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Math (Nanoha SI), Thread 2

First, it doesn't work that way.  Say I was (still) 6'1", and I created a y-axis spatial distortion of that type.  The space I occupied would still measure 6'1" in height, from top to bottom, internally- it's just that the hypothetical 6'1" ruler you'd be using to measure that, when compared to a ruler outside of the distortion, would be taller than it should be.  It wouldn't actually be making me any bigger or smaller; it'd just be bending the connections between the (constant) space I'd occupy and the world around it.
Second, why bother?  If I'm not being physically increased or decreased, what benefit is there to that?  I've got an entirely different goal in mind, here.

"My children!  Ready yourselves, for tomorrow you go to war."
You could've heard a pin drop in the lab after that statement... not that that was all that surprising.  Sein and I were shocked into silence, Cinque and Tre weren't the sort to make a lot of noise, and Uno... well, I was fairly sure Uno already knew about it.  She does that.
Oh, and Quattro was there, as far away from me as she could possibly manage, quiet as (I suspect) she usually is.  I really bollixed that up.  Still need to do something about that... maybe after this mission.
I must confess to spending some time thinking about the Quattro situation- time in which I wasn't paying close attention to what the doctor was saying.  When I did tune back in, though, he was still talking, and still sounded surprisingly sane.  "...was I not generous when I sought to purchase a Relic from the Syndicate?  Was I not honest, when I paid the full asking price without complaint?" 
As he spoke, the doctor got progressively louder, anger seeping into his tone.  "Was I not MERCIFUL when the Syndicate BETRAYED me?  When they sought to keep MY PROPERTY- bought and paid for- did we not attempt a PEACEFUL RESOLUTION?!"
That sounds like the Sein retrieval mission.  'Peaceful resolution', my cyborg ass- we tried to steal it back.
...actually, now that I think about it, that's sort of a 'peaceful resolution'.  Sein was trying not to be seen, after all.

The doctor was clenching his fists in anger now, as he paced back and forth in front of us.  "And how was I repaid for my benevolence?"  With a wave of his hand, an image appeared; the collapsed ruin of a lab, much like this one in style.  "With violence.  With betrayal."
Scaglietti whirled around to face his audience, looking at each of us in turn.  "No more!  Uno, our current dossier on the Syndicate is insufficient.  Fix it.  I want names, accounts, locations, businesses- everything
Quattro!  Take what Uno discovers, and put it to use.  I want organizational charts, psychological profiles, and economic summaries.  Find out who to kill, what to steal, and where to destroy.
Sein!  Work with Quattro.  When she gives you a name, you kill them.  When she gives you a place, you strip it bare.  You are my knife in the shadows- strike true, and deep.
Tre!  If Sein is my knife, then you and Cinque are my sword and shield.  Defend my possessions, and strike against my opponents!
Imma!  You're in charge of cleaning up after the others.  When Sein is done stealing, you level the building.  When Tre and Cinque have emptied a base, you wipe out the base.  Work with Quattro, as well- she'll brief you on additional targets."
Inwardly, I wanted to grin.  A job after my own heart.
"Do any of you have any questions?"
None of us moved, or said anything.
"Then go, my children, and destroy!"

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

.... IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!!!

Oh, and one-on-one action with Quattro! Let's see how this goes. Smile

YOU'D LIKE TO THINK THAT, WOULDN'T YOU?
Seriously, though, I've really messed up the pacing on the Quattro subplot.  There are segments that I've written (not posted yet) that need to happen sooner, segments I've not written that need to exist... it's pretty much, as my boss's boss would refer to it, a charlie foxtrot. >.<
But yes, this is the 'official' start of the war subplot.  Not a direct lead-in to hostilities- these things need time to ramp up, after all- but the point at which combat missions start to become a bigger part of the plot.  It and the bounty-hunting subplot are, collectively, tutorial mode.

...aw, man!  Why can't I be out destroying things?
At the end of the doctor's little speech, everybody went their separate ways.  Uno and Quattro just opened up their respective interfaces, and began to research.  Tre and Cinque headed down into the base, talking shop as they walked... leaving me somewhat at loose ends.
I should've expected this.  What was that old military saying- 'hurry up and wait'?  Well, I'm waiting.
...guess I might as well work on that spell some more.  Now, where was I?
Oh, right!  Inversion testing.  To the containment room!

It was the work of a minute to pull up a new target, and load up what I'd been working on before the call went out.  [Begin Test 2a.]
[LOADING MM-ZS-PT01.  CASTING.]
WHOOSH.... SPLASH.
PWWWW-WZZZZZZ!
...what.  What was that?  [What WAS that?]
[SCAN DATA EVALUATED.  READINGS CONSISTENT WITH DIMENSIONAL DISTORTION.  SPACE EXPANSION TYPE.  UNIDIRECTIONAL- DISTANCE- 47.2 METERS.]
[So it expanded the space the target occupied to extend off thataway?]
[AS STATED.]
[...don't give me any of that lip.  Load the next spell.]
[LOADING MM-ZS-PT02.  CASTING.]
WHOOSH.... SPLASH.
WZZZZZZZ-PWWWW!
[Let me guess.  The space the target occupied was compressed along the same axis for a short time.]
[...]
[AFFIRMATIVE.]
I couldn't help but smile at that... while I was busy pulling up my spell design program.  Grab the math from PT02 for payload, change the values to alter the location to one edge of the target and wherever I designate for the other end, add a small push effect based off of Air Comet (and pull the vector for it from the compression calcs)...
...now I just give it a name
(arrange for a test dummy delivery with the other hand), aaaaaand... saved!  Now to copy it, strip out the 'on-target' mechanics, and save the rough personal version before I forget.  Done... finally.
[Mal, FS-PT01 (50m behind target).  Cast.]
[CASTING FS-PT01.]
The spell appeared, flashed out towards my poor target... and with a visible bending of space and a relatively loud WZZZZZZZ-PWWWW!, the target disappeared, only to reappear an instant later, and fall to the ground.
[TARGET IS 48.2 METERS DISTANT.  DISTANCE TRAVELED-]
[-is 42.4 meters.  I know.  Only 85% of expected efficiency- not all I'd hoped for, but understandable.  I'll refine it when we move past prototype stage-]
"Imma, please report to the main lab."
[-after this brief interruption.]

I've been writing a bit.

So, after perfecting a Meteor Swarm spell, Imma finally gets around to studying the Push spell. AD&D magic, this ain't.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Eh, that's what a lot of martial arts shows would call a combat teleport, all it needs is an illusory after-image left behind to make it complete. I wouldn't scoff at that spell at all, especially since it can be used to grab someone else and put them somewhere they don't necessarily want to be.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

HAH! In other words, it would be a bit like the replacement jutsu from Naruto, only instead of swapping out with a log you're just leaving an after image. Nice. Big Grin

Yup, or the Zanzouken from Dragonball.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

CD has the right of it.  Basically, what I'm creating is a version of the Zero Shift, from Zone of the Enders.
I'm essentially bending space (folding or stretching, depending on how you look at it; space-time anomalies get wiggy, terminology-wise) so that, for a fraction of a second, the distance between where I want to go and where I am is virtually nil.  During that time, one slight push sends me from Point A to Point B.
That particular trick has two major disadvantages (and a number of more minor ones).  First, if my opponent figures out what I'm doing, it becomes more easily predictable than a more traditional high-speed movement spell like Fate's Sonic Move would be.  Second, because I'm not actually moving more than a couple of inches, from my perspective, I have virtually no momentum.  Can't use it to buff unarmed strikes.
The advantages are that it doesn't work the way most people's HSM spells do.  Enemies can't predict it nearly as easily, my speed is independent of the weight I'm carrying (so I can cross distance like Fate without stripping down), it could be used offensively on others, it might eventually lead to [REDACTED]...
Also, I'm on vacation this next week.  Next post is 4/14 on SB, 4/15 here.

Wonder what this is about.  Did somebody finally find a who do we have here?  Craaaaaaaaap.When I walked into the room, I saw just about what I'd expected.  Uno was working on her personal displays, assisted by Quattro (who averted her eyes as soon as she noticed me looking at her).  Sein was (turn quickly, scoop her out of the air, and turn back) pouncing on me from behind,  the doctor was doing Loki knows what in some other room, and Tre and Cinque were chatting with another Number.
Older appearance?  Check.  Blond hair, straight down her back?  Check.  I don't even need her to turn around; that's Due....yep, she turned around, and that's a numeral II.  I am in SUCH-"Imma!  A pleasure to meet you at last.  I've heard so very much about you!"
-RIGHT UP TO MY NECK.  Maximum cautiousness here.I put on my best smile (imagining Sein doing something entertaining for motivation), and walked forward.  "Only the good things, I hope?"  I let a beat pass, and then continued on, taking Due's hand, giving her my best courtly bow, and brushing my lips against her knuckles.  "...but where are my manners?  You would be the lady Due, I believe?  I'm honored."
...that you haven't killed me yet, you psycho.  At least I know where I stand with you.Due favored me with a smile... albeit one with more than a hint of predatory malice in it.  "Such a gentleman!  Why, if you keep that up, I may grow to like you!"
... you don't already, then- that, or you just want me to keep buttering you up.Her smile got slightly more predatory, even as her tone became more teasing.  "And why, dear brother, do you ask?  What could a gentleman such as yourself possibly have to hide from your own sister?"
...weak points emotional and practical, everything I know about the future, my own plans for it... oh, and the fact I think you need to be put down before you kill anybody else?I chuckled.  "Why, Due, I'm surprised!  I thought for sure you'd know by now that nobody's perfect!  We, all of us, have flaws... and I'm sure you'd agree that flawed beings lead to flawed experiences."  I let a touch of a smirk onto my face, before using honest cheer (from Cinque, this time) to make it a proper smile.  "Find me a person who isn't hiding some ugly part of themselves from the world, and I'll find you a liar."
Due's smirk soured a bit at the last comment.  She thought for a second, tapping one finger against her cheek... and then the smirk was back.  "Oh?  How very interesting.  I'd be most curious to hear how you think the Doctor is... what was the term you used?  A 'flawed being'?"

I've been writing a bit.

OH FUCK. Walked right into that one, didn't you?

You've already seen an example of it - the doc can get focused on something interesting to the point he ignores everything else. Uno had to add that automatic shutdown of the strange-angles-eldritch-gravity-thingy after all. There's no need to mention megalomania or a lack of empathy, though they're expressions of the same tendency when you get right down to it.
--

Yes, but there's no need to reveal that to the one person that will render you into hamburger in 3/10's of a second flat if she perceives that you disapprove of Jail and his methods.

... yes. That's exactly what I said, or at least why I said it. Aside from that, if he was a perfect existence he'd have no need of the Numbers to act in his stead.
--

I'm back home, back to writing, and back on schedule.  Good vacation, that one.
Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun writing Due.  When I write most characters, I tend to start with a handful of major defining traits, and then build exceptions and elaborations around them; I'm writing Due as Sadistic, Playful, and Deceptive, and it seems to work.  Also, you may notice that I call her "Lady Due?"  I was excessively proud of that little pun/reference... and disappointed that she doesn't wear glasses.
I'd like to note that this was all written at least a month ago.  SB hivemind, CD?
Oh, very nice.  Nicely done!My response was to smile indulgently at her.  If I could ruffle her hair and tell her how very proud I was, I would.  She'd hate that, I bet.  "Why, dear lady, we are all flawed to some degree.  How could we be otherwise? 
Consider, if you will, what a theoretical flawless being would be like.  It would have to be immortal, for the perfection that can cease to be is not true perfection.  It would be aware of all events, in all places, at all times- to miss even one would be to render its senses less than perfect.  More than that, no act... no number of acts... would be beyond its capacity.  After all, if a being is incapable of something, is it not limited?  Would not such a limit be a flaw?
Dear Due, to be flawless is to be immortal, omnipotent, and omniscient... and many more things beyond that.  There are none that can claim such a state... though I do admit that the doctor Scaglietti comes closer than most.  He is, after all, quite exceptional."
You're not a philosopher, Due.  Give up.Due was still smiling, but it seemed to be a bit wan.  "Your point is... well taken, Imma.  I'm afraid I've kept you a bit too long."  She made a 'shoo-ing' gesture, further into the lab.  "You should go on ahead- I hear Quattro has something for you."
Okay, I'll let you off this time."Well, if you're sure..."  She nodded.  "She told me so, a few minutes ago.  I'm going to be mentoring her soon- helping her past that pesky shyness problem she seems to have."...okay, that's an evil grin if I've ever seen one."That'll be nice.  Why, I don't think she's ever said a word to me."  Now to twist the knife a bit.  "Now, I must bid you adieu, Lady Due.  I'm already looking forward to our future... discussions."
The pained smile I got back made the entire conversation worth it... until I turned away from Due, and saw Quattro looking at me from across the room.
...awcrap.
The look of betrayal on her face was heartbreaking.  The sight of her running out of the lab- and is that crying I hear?... well, that just stomped on the broken bits, and ground them into the dirt.
I left the room feeling like a total heel that day, with my head hung low and my face red.

I've been writing a bit.

Nah, my precog just has the flaws Limited Subjects (Fiction) and No Conscious Control.

And you'd better bring back an entire truck full of ice cream next time you leave the base, Worst Big Brother.
--

Oh man! She likes you, and I mean she LIKES YOU likes you. And now she's about to be thrown at Due.

Imma had better save that poor little critter or else he'll have exactly what he was afraid of on his hands... only worse as she'll have an ax to grind.

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Oh man! She likes you, and I mean she LIKES YOU likes you. And now she's about to be thrown at Due.

Imma had better save that poor little critter or else he'll have exactly what he was afraid of on his hands... only worse as she'll have an ax to grind.
And she thinks -you- LIKE Due.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Guys, I think I need your help.  See, the concept of Quattro having a crush on me?  That's not what I was trying to get across.  AT ALL.
I've been operating, as the writer, under the assumption that Quattro has been both disappointed and confused with me.  My normal position on social interaction is someplace around 'if I must'; when you combine that with the fact that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to deal with her, is it any surprise that I've not been able to even broach the subject with her, much less solve the problem I created?
Of course, she doesn't know any of that.  She just sees me working with Uno and Tre, getting along with Cinque, being a friend to Sein... and ignoring her entirely.  At this point, this Quattro isn't a villain, or even a bad person; her reaction to being ignored, appropriately enough, is to assume that it's unintentional, or that I was content with the sisters I had, and the introduction of another didn't sit well with me.  She's been assuming that my problem isn't specifically with her, to put it more directly.
Seeing me with Due, well... let's just say she didn't quite get what she was seeing.  She missed the subtle barbs, the fake smiles, and the way I tend to get more polite and over-the-top with people I dislike.  All she saw was that I'd just met Due, and was getting along with her just fine.  I was talking to her- heck, I was complimenting her!  In her mind, that led to one inescapable conclusion: Imma hates me.  There must be something wrong with me.  What?
That's pretty much what I've been assuming (and trying to write) this entire time... and yes, that's supposed to lead into Due mentoring Quattro (which, if you look at the wiki, is apparently canon).  So here we come to what I need help with.  Should I write Quattro as having a crush, or just wanting to be acknowledged/loved/cared for?  If I stick with the second option, how do I make it more clear from the SI's perspective?

I've been writing a bit.

Oooh. Tough Call.

Well... There's not much difference between the two, save for that one of those includes thoughts of physical intimacy. Yikes!

Hrmmm... In Option One, if Imma were to play his cards right, he'd have another sister who, if A) I am reading things right and B) he can keep the worst of Due's influence at bay, will become a very sweet, kind, and loving little sister who'd move heaven and earth for her big brother. You see, even though she is painfully shy at this point, Quatro's thing is all about her own dedication and loyalty. In the anime she was loyal to Jail and Jail alone - everyone else she was willing to throw under a bus for his greater gain. Including, if needs be, Uno, Due and Tre.

In Option Two, things get more complicated depending on how you/Imma feel about it. For one thing, Quatro's feelings as described in Option One are magnified by an order of magnitude. At the very least. And shy ones like her are especially bad once the levy breaks. It's like the saying to always be wary of the quiet ones. Also, her loyalties will be tied between Imma and Jail. The problem would be if the others cottoned onto this fact and decided to do something about it. Nothing too drastic as Imma is showing that he can be a very productive member of the team (if it ain't broke don't fix it)... But with Quatro it could be something quite tragic indeed, and it would be all done and over with before he even heard about it.

Option Two has the potential to muck things up the most - romance usually does. But I wouldn't hold it against you if you went for Option One instead as the Dedicated Little Sister trope is fun as well.

Note: Either way, the others will not be quiet about this. While shy, Quatro's being very obvious at this point. I would expect that at least Sein and/or Cinque to intervene at some point here.

A short bit from Quattro's viewpoint as she worries over those things, or one of the other sisters as she talks to them about it, would clear it up pretty well - of course, that does mean getting fully inside one of their heads to do this, but you have done this before with Tre at least. If you want to stick to Imma's viewpoint as much as you possibly can, have him consult one of the more social sisters, having realized he's really messed things up, dithering so long after discovering that Quattro was quite different (even if it seems to be a good difference) than expected.
--

Bluemage Wrote:Guys, I think I need your help. See, the concept of Quattro having a crush on me? That's not what I was trying to get across. AT ALL.
I was half-thinking Quattro might have had a crush on Due. (Lyrical Nanoha is open to "alternative lifestyles," after all, and it would have shaken up a few preconceptions.)

Bluemage Wrote:That's pretty much what I've been assuming (and trying to write) this entire time... and yes, that's supposed to lead into Due mentoring Quattro (which, if you look at the wiki, is apparently canon). So here we come to what I need help with. Should I write Quattro as having a crush, or just wanting to be acknowledged/loved/cared for? If I stick with the second option, how do I make it more clear from the SI's perspective?
If I was writing the story, and I had to make this decision, I'd be looking at my long-term plans for Quattro. Do I want to let her have the personality she has in canon, or do I want to "redeem" her, or do I have other plans for her?

If she wants to be acknowledged/loved/cared for, and she doesn't get that, then she's got one foot on the road to her canon personality.

If Quattro wants to be acknowledged/loved/cared for, and she does get that, then her personality can be diverted to something different altogether.

If she has a crush... she didn't have a crush on Imma in canon because Imma wasn't in canon, so anything could happen - including a personality shift. Note that a possible personality shift doesn't need to be for the "better," but can be.

Does that help?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

So I've been thinking about the issue, and it got me considering what the rest of the Numbers will end up doing.  I took a few minutes, matched names/faces/personalities/decanting dates, applied a bit of logic, and figured out roughly how the future will go.  I'll be refining that over time, and surprises will have to be accounted for, but it's at least the base idea.
Turns out it doesn't really matter whether or not Quattro has a crush on me right now.  All it requires is a different approach when [REDACTED] starts [REDACTED], and [REDACTED] will end up [REDACTED] her anyway, crush or not.
Quote:I was half-thinking Quattro might have had a crush on Due. (Lyrical Nanoha is open to "alternative lifestyles," after all, and it would have shaken up a few preconceptions.)
Thanks for the idea, but I don't think it'll apply here.  (MSLN's "everybody's a lesbian" status is a bit of a fan mutation, I've found.  There's fewer of them- and more 'traditional lifestyles'- than most people remember at first blush, mostly because the yuri pairings get the most attention.)  If you look at the first three anime (my headcanon, basically), I count two of each among the current generation (Nanoha/Fate and Subaru/Tea on one side, Amy/Chrono and Erio/Caro on the other).
I have some of that planned for characters/situations down the road- enough to hold that ratio, methinks- but not her/not yet.
Quote:A short bit from Quattro's viewpoint as she worries over those things,
or one of the other sisters as she talks to them about it, would clear
it up pretty well - of course, that does mean getting fully inside one
of their heads to do this, but you have done this before with Tre at
least. If you want to stick to Imma's viewpoint as much as you possibly
can, have him consult one of the more social sisters, having realized
he's really messed things up, dithering so long after discovering that
Quattro was quite different (even if it seems to be a good difference)
than expected.
Your act of precognition has been noted.  An Inquisitor will be with you shortly.
Quote:I would expect that at least Sein and/or Cinque to intervene at some point here.
...drat, I already sent out my Inquisitor.  You'll have to wait.
Next scene will come in 3-6 hours.

I've been writing a bit.

"Got something for you, little bro."
I gave Sein a wan smile.  "Good.  I need something productive to do right now."
"Why?"  She frowned, leaning in, and put an arm around me.  "What's wrong?"
Do I trust Sein with this?  On the one hand, she does act like she cares, doesn't seem to lie, and I've not noticed her leaking things to the heads of the 'family'.  On the other, this is my problem-  I can solve it myself.  Besides, this is Sein I'm thinking about; she's practically the poster girl for impulsiveness and insufficient planning.  Cinque might be of help- now there's an idea!- but Sein?I shook my head, reached around, and gave Sein a proper hug back.  "Oh, it's nothing.  I'll be all right.  What do you need me to-"
"Don't lie to me, Imma!  I can see that you're upset!"  Sein scowled, cuffing me upside the head.  "...well, I can see that you're not happy.  Less happy than normal, too!  There IS something wrong, and you NEED to tell me!"
...huh.  I sort of expected her to let this go by now.  "...and IF there was something wrong, and I didn't tell you?  What would you do?"
Sein just gave me a flat stare.  "You're not fooling me, Imma.  There's something going on; I can see it in your eyes.  It's hurting you... and it needs to stop."
I snorted.  "Don't worry about me- I can still do my job just fine.  Just point me at whatever needs exploding, and watch the-"
SMACK
I rubbed my cheek, feeling out where Sein had struck me.  That's definitely going to leave a mark.  Kid's got a good arm... as I'd expect.
"...you hit me."
"Damn right, I hit you!  How could you SAY something like that?  How could you even THINK that?!"Never seen Sein this angry.  Must've struck a nerve.
"You've been here my ENTIRE LIFE, Imma.  You met me TWO DAYS after I woke up for the first time.  Of all my family, you're the one I've talked to most, the one I've spent the most time with, and the ONLY one who's ever played with me..."  
By this point, I was stunned- Really?  We've spent THAT much time together?  Why didn't you play with them?- but Sein just glared harder, and went on talking.
"...so why do you think I'm Tre?"
I couldn't help myself.  "What."

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:Bluemage wrote:
"...so why do you think I'm Tre?"
I couldn't help myself.  "What."
HAH!!!  Hilarious.  Nice job adding a bit of shaggy dog to the mix.  And I love the 'wait, WHAT!?' reaction at the end there.
No need for inquisitors here.  I just get the characters that well.  Besides, would you really want to expose someone to the lovecraftian horrors of my mind?  *evil grin*

I wasn't protesting because I could use a bit of the ol' Comfy Chair, myself, the stuffing's starting to go in mine. And it sounds like Sein is precisely the person to understand why Quattro is so upset, actually - all she has to do is think of how it would have been if Imma had shyed away and avoided her. She should be good for assigning proper corrective and instructive penalties to solve the problem, too.
--

...not sure what you mean, BA.  I'm still building up to a climax, here- this dog isn't that shaggy.
As for the reaction, well... I've basically been trying to give SI-me a competence level of 'usually'.  Most of the time, I let myself succeed partially, some of the time, I fail to some degree, and every so often, I get an unqualified success.  Since writer-me definitely took Charisma as a dump stat, it seemed like social interaction was a good place to put most of the fail.  Hence the whole Quattro plot, and me irritating Sein- I'm oblivious and socially out-of-touch enough to do things like this (and yes, aware of that fact on my own- it's not something I've needed explained), so it made sense.
Okay, lost where I was going, there.  Oh- right- the Flat What.  Sein has... let's call it a way with words.  I try not to overuse the FW, simply because of how quickly it gets old, but Sein ended up putting things so pithily that no other response would do.  She's fun to write, and yes I *know* I keep saying that.
Sorry, but my inquisitor's fresh out of Comfy Chairs.  Her psyker could probably make you *think* you were sitting in one... until it started gibbering and sprouting tentacles, of course.
A good point, too.  Will I lose author cred (what little I have) if I mention that I didn't even think of that?
"I said, why do you think I'm Tre?  Why do you think that the only thing I care about is the mission?"  She leaned forward, poking me in the chest with one finger.  "Are you really that blind?  I KNOW you're not that stupid."
What else could you care about?  You just making sure your play-buddy's okay?  "Oh, I know you're not Tre.  You have a sense of fun."That didn't work.  Angry Sein is still angry.
...aw, crap.  I'm going to have to 'fess up, aren't I?  Yep.  All the same issue, so I can't get around it.
I slumped where I stood, and gave in.  "...you asked what's wrong with me?  I'll tell you.  I'm a failure, Sein... and I just keep making it worse."
Sein's eyes widened in confusion.  "Failure?  I know you were pulled off missions a while back, but-"
"Not that failure, Sein.  Quattro."
"Oh.  Right."  Sein blinked, tilting her head to one side in confusion.  "Why'd you do that?  Running away like that, I mean.  I've been trying to figure it out for weeks!"
I sighed, sitting down on the floor.  "It's... a bit of a long story."  As I was going over it in my head- gotta get this right the first time!- Sein sat down opposite me.
"...well, maybe not so long.  Quattro reminds me of somebody... of some people... I used to know."  Mostly of herself, but I can't say that.  Jail might get ideas.  "One of them was a girl I used to love, once upon a time."
Sein leaned in, clearly curious.  "Oh?  What happened?  Did you run away from Quattro because you wanted to take her in your arms and..."  Her voice drifted off, but I could tell she hadn't lost her train of thought, what with how heavily she was blushing.W-was that a giggle I just heard?  A *perverted* giggle?!  Oh, my- best cut this off quick.In a blunt, emotionless monotone, I responded.  "...one day, out of the blue if I recall correctly, she broke up with me.  Then she spent the next two hours verbally eviscerating me.  She systematically attacked every insecurity, every doubt, every weak point in my psyche.  By the time she finally left, I'd lost any sort of self-worth I ever had."Huh.  Thought that that would hurt more... or at least evoke some bitterness.  Truly, time heals all wounds.A beat later, while she was still processing this, I moved to my next point.  "The other one was worse."

I've been writing a bit.