Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Light In The Darkness (Quest fic- votes and critiques welcome!)

Well gosh, that's pretty swell! A tiny pot roast doesn't seem too useful, though, when we don't currently seem to have a mouth or a stomach to eat it. See if we can turn the pot roast back into silver light, to make something more immediately useful. Exactly what would be useful is a little ore questionable, but a quonset hut is simple, versatile, and familiar as a WWII soldier as a place for storage or to work and live. This might take some time to remember clearly enough or work up sufficient Will, but it's important to get our first base of operations right. (last bold item is voting to use multiple actions or retry if needed until it's right)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Hey gang, can we at least get a tiebreaker vote, if no one has any better ideas?

Current write ins are:
Make our bedroom (ManyTales)
Make a quonset hut, take extra time if needed to get it right (me)

I proposed a quonset because it's simple, rugged, multi-purpose, and scalable from "garden shed" to "aircraft hangar" with the same basic structure (and should be familiar, as a WWII era soldierWink my guess about ManyTales's is that our own bedroom should be familiar enough to easily picture.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Plan ClassicDrogn followed by Plan ManyTales - put the bedroom inside the quonset hut.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Plan robkelk
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sounds like we have a consensus.
Reabsorbing the rest of your combat reenactment is simple enough.  Reabsorbing the pot roast, though, proves impossible. 
You can't sense any Will in it any longer.  Haven't ever, actually- not since the moment it was created.  As far as you can tell, it's just normal, everyday matter.
On a lark, you draw up more of the light, and try ordering it to unmake the roast.  No matter how much will you put behind it, no matter what you try, nothing happens.  The light refuses- actively refuses!- to unmake what you've created.
Time passes.  Your pool of silver light- the power of your Will- slowly refills.
As that time passes, you find yourself growing increasingly dissatisfied with your lack of surroundings.  Before you'd examined your memories, it didn't bother you- it was the only thing you knew, after all- but now that you remember being Joe?  It's driving you up the wall.
But you can change that.  You think back to the places you've been, and one in particular pops into your mind- the Quonset hut you and your squad used during basic training.
[Muninn- Target: 10(+30)= 40Roll: 7SUCCESS]
As you think back on that hut- on all the hours spent on your knees, cleaning the floor with a toothbrush... the days spent learning every nuance of properly making your cot... the endless laps around the outside, every time the DI felt like it- you feel your memory of it sharpen in a very familiar way.
[Concept {Quonset Hut} Developed!]
Just like that, you know the place, inside and out.  You know every detail of it.  You know you can make it.  So you do.
Moments later, you float right through a wall and into your hut.  You can't really see anything inside, but you can feel it- and it feels just like the original did, the day you shipped out.  Your store of Will was barely depleted from the effort; you feel like you could create quite a bit more before needing to rest.
Now that you think of it, you haven't so much as been tired since you got here.  Odd, that.
(Well, you got lucky, and remembered how to make yourself a place to live.  It's fairly bare-bones, but it's got a floor, a ceiling, two walls, a whole bunch of (perfectly-made) bunks, a stove for heat, and spare uniforms.
You should know.  You had to clean, fold, crease, and make every single one of them.
Mind you, it's got a few problems, all of which have to do with what you haven't made yet, but those can be fixed.)
Where to now, Boss?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

See if you can make yourself a corporeal body to inhabit.  And then, a Latrine. Stat. And a mess while we're at it. And if we're going the whole Rocketeer route, another Quonset for storage and maintenance of Jetpacks might not be a bad idea. (You cannot tell me that if they had an entire corps of these guys that they did not simplify the jetpacks to the point where they could be 'field stripped' like a rifle.)

Seems to me like we're setting up something of a forward-deployed base here. I wonder if that'll be useful. Wink
EDIT: And afterwards, we might just be hungry enough to sit down and enjoy that roast, dagnabsit.
EDIT2: for reasons.

Check status: Do we have a body yet?
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Check status: Do we have a body yet?
No.  You do not.
All you have is an overcooked pot roast, a prefab building kitted out as a boot camp barracks, and the contents of said building (Army training kit for ten).  That is the sum total of your physical assets at the moment- nothing exempted or assumed.
You are currently in your incorporeal globe shape, floating in an empty spot inside said hut.

I've been writing a bit.

Ah. Editing my previous plan of moves...

Ch-ch-ch-changes!
--

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
they're immune to Willed changes once made.
They are?  This is news to me. :3
(If anybody is familiar with David Eddings, specifically the way sorcery works in the Belgariad...)

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:they're immune to Willed changes once made.
They are? This is news to me. :3

(If anybody is familiar with David Eddings, specifically the way sorcery works in the Belgariad...)
It's news to me, too.

We can't change pot roast back into silver light, but we never tried fiddling with the post roast. Or changing it.

(Never read the Belgariad, myself.)

Plan: Take a look around, see what else might be in this space outside the hut.

If there's absolutely nothing else in this space, make some ground for the quonset hut (and other things) to sit on, a dome over the ground, and some air and water in the dome, then (and only then) Plan Black Aeronaut revised.

If there is something else in this space, hold on everything until we've identified what it is.
--
Rob Kelk

You make an exhaustive search of the area.  The Quonset hut was created within its own silver bubble.  Inside of that bubble, there are only three things; you, the hut (and all its contents), and... the pot roast.  Outside of it...
Outside of it...
[You learned Huginn!]
[Thought stat unlocked!]
[Your Thought has been increased to 10!]
[Thought Roll: AUTO-SUCCESS!]
As you focus on what you're sensing, your thoughts sharpen, in much the same way your memories did earlier.  Conclusion after conclusion slams into place for a timeless instant, until finally your mind relaxes back down to normal.
That done, you ponder your findings.
Nothing.  There's nothing there.  No, nothing isn't there, because nothing being there would imply there was a 'there' there for it to be there in.
Creating objects created reality around them.  Silver bubble separates reality from absence of reality.  Pot roast is here because reality bubbles overlapped.  Merged.
Created reality contains only what was created.  Nothing else.  Object exists within vacuum.
(I answered that one question because it gives you more information to plot a course of action off of.  Also let me introduce the next game mechanic.  Feel free to refine your plans.)

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:They are?  This is news to me. :3
Clearly I should have included an "apparently" in there.
Quote:(If anybody is familiar with David Eddings, specifically the way sorcery works in the Belgariad...)
Well, I've heard of it... but that's all.

I still think some extra hands would be useful, so not changing my vote.
--

For those unaware, sorcery in the Belgariad is referred to as The Will and The Word. A sorcerer Wills something to happen, speaks a Word, and the thing they Willed happens, so long as they have enough Will. It is possible for a sorcerer to die if their Will is completely exhausted. Additionally, if a sorcerer attempts to unmake something, their Will rebounds upon them, and they are unmade instead. (This is how most sorcerers die, with their first, unintentional, use of sorcery.)  Odds are, we're very lucky that we don't technically "exist" at the moment.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Urgh.

I just realized what's bugging me.

This is one of those friggin' games that takes forever and a day to get to the real meat of the story. Like the first Kingdom Hearts game. Sure, the introductory bit goes reasonably fast, but the Island part takes forever if you're gonna stop and try for '100% completion' and the next world after that is a grindfest - the amount of enemy respawning is freaking ridiculous! Not even Ninja Gaiden is that bad! (Dunno about the rest of them, because I never finished the first, and I like to make it a point of doing that before taking on any sequels.)

I think having a body would be counter-productive at the moment - we'd have to maintain it, and I suspect we don't have enough Will to create a complete ecosystem all at once. Let's wait until we can survive before we start to live.

Revised plan: try to manipulate what's been created, rather than simply creating. Create a knife, a long fork, a table, and a couple of plates (if they don't already exist in the standard barracks). Then, without drawing on the silver light, carve and serve the roast.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Urgh.

I just realized what's bugging me.

This is one of those friggin' games that takes forever and a day to get to the real meat of the story. Like the first Kingdom Hearts game. Sure, the introductory bit goes reasonably fast, but the Island part takes forever if you're gonna stop and try for '100% completion' and the next world after that is a grindfest - the amount of enemy respawning is freaking ridiculous! Not even Ninja Gaiden is that bad! (Dunno about the rest of them, because I never finished the first, and I like to make it a point of doing that before taking on any sequels.)
(Actually, this is one of those games that forces you to learn a set of basic mechanics before you move out of tutorial stage.  You've got about half of them, and the other half-minus-one are closely tied together- once you get one, you can get the rest in short order.
All of them except one have been proposed, actually, as has the minus-one.  You guys just haven't done them yet.)

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:Created reality contains only what was created.  Nothing else.  Object exists within vacuum.
New plan: Create an island for everything to sit on, with earth-normal gravity and an atmosphere, before messing about with living things.
--

CD, we already know how to create. My proposal is an effort to try unlocking some other stats.
--
Rob Kelk

...so we wait a bit before "Let there be light"?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

robkelk Wrote:CD, we already know how to create. My proposal is an effort to try unlocking some other stats.
And I fully support doing so, after we have a bit of a world to play on. You need clay and a kiln before you try to go throwing pottery, after all, and adding a wheel as well makes it much more effective.
--

I have taken the liberty of going back through the thread, and collecting all of the plans that have been submitted since the last major event.
Plan BlackAeronaut:  Create a body, a latrine, a mess, and a maintenance shop.
Plan Rob (original):  Create ground beneath the hut, create air to breathe and water to drink, and then implement Plan BA.
Plan Rob (#2):  Create a table setting, and then serve the roast.  No Will allowed while serving the roast.
Plan Jorlem:  Figure out how to create a demigod version of another Rocketeer, and discuss ideas.At the moment, every plan has ONE VOTE.
BA, be aware that everything currently exists within a vacuum.
Rob, you are currently an incorporeal globe.  Will is the only way you currently have of interacting with the world, and it is, itself, incorporeal.  Incidentally, the roast has been floating in a vacuum for some time now.
Bob, that's certainly an option.  Nobody's proposed it yet. ^_^

Jorlem, you may want to consider what you're asking for.  You have a Thought of 10 and a Memory of 10, and rolls involve a d100, plus modifiers based on the difficulty of the task.

I've been writing a bit.

Since it's basically the same thing as my revised, I'll switch to Rob's original
--

Maybe having someone to bounce ideas off of will help? Create a being similar in metaphysical form to ourself, but slightly lesser. Base this being's mind/personality off of Cliff Secord. (Unless we hated each other, or something. If that is the case, then base the being's personality off one of our fellow Rocketeers, one that we got along with.)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.