Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third

Looking at the time stamps, I'm guessing either the meet-and-greet was a fair distance away, or Bob made a very good impression and was hired on the spot. Here's hoping the latter...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The suspense is killing me.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Quote:Looking at the time stamps, I'm guessing either the meet-and-greet was a fair distance away, or Bob made a very good impression and was hired on the spot. Here's hoping the latter...
The "meet and greet" turned out to be an hour-long interview. I haven't heard anything yet, but I have been assured that I did well. I'll know by the end of day tomorrow, I believe. And the reason I haven't responded before now is that as soon as I got home Helen came over for her weekly crash-at-our-place-to-save-on-commute night, and we ended up working on the polish edit for DW13-01 together before having to go out to pick up Peggy from her job and have dinner. I also am feeling crappy because I picked up a cold from the old college buddy who pointed me at this job, so I'm kinda in slow motion tonight.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:I also am feeling crappy because I picked up a cold from the old college buddy who pointed me at this job
Let's hope that the cold isn't the only thing you got from your old college buddy... (fingers crossed)
--
Rob Kelk

Any Word
Any word on the latest lead Bob?

No, nothing. Both the consulting gig and the Verizon Wireless contract are still up in the air. Last time I talked to the fellow running the consulting firm, the CIO and CEO at the company were still deciding, and at last word the Verizon HR person was dickering over hourly rate with the recruiter. I didn't check in with either this past week because things got so hectic (Peggy got sick a couple days ago), but I would expect to have heard from one or the other if anything had changed.
-- Bob
---------
Today's Search-Related Chuckle
Noticing for the first time that the monster.com domain has a machine called "cookie" on it.

In other news, I found out just before the weekend that the consulting gig was a no go; the CEO and CIO at the client company didn't think I was a good fit for the position.
The Verizon job... geeze, your guess is as good as mine.  It's been weeks since the recruiter contacted me about it.  I should give them a call today, but I'm figuring if I haven't heard anything in this long it's also a no go.
-- Bob
---------

That's a bummer, Bob.  In my stint as a consultant we were a consulting firm, so if one of us wasn't a 'good fit' chances were another would be.  One thing I learned during that time, though, was to gather feedback wherever possible.  Is it likely that they'll tell you -why- you're not a good fit?  Something that you can use to adjust your approach in the future?
I've found that a lot of employers really like it when you ask for suggestions and feedback.  Sure, not all of them bother to give any, but the ones that do are a goldmine -- and they're likely to remember you next time something comes up.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Well, actually I do have more detail, but it's so specific to their company that it's kind of useless when it comes to other potential employers.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, keep on hanging in.  Make sure whenever you do something that's even remotely "work" (even volunteer stuff), no matter how unrelated it is to what you've done in the past or what you want to do in the future, you get it on that resume.  It shows you are seriously willing to work at pretty much anything.  I told you when this all first started, and people have reminded you of this from time to time in these threads, your job is to get a job. That still applies.  It took me 2 years of substitute school teaching (at $50/day) between "real jobs" (software developer to OSHA inspector), but it *will* take you less, I know it.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

I'll second Jeanne on this one Bob. It took me a year to do it, but I did it and that what counts.
BTW, Jeanne, I got class scheduled for Chicago start date, January 4. Chicago in winter...joy *sarcasm* It's initial compliance. I'll be going there also in March and July.
It's crazy but I had a couple of calls from California asking me if I'm available for personal interviews. One of them even told me if I'd like to fly back over there when I told her I'm here in Birmingham, Al.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:

BTW, Jeanne, I got class scheduled for Chicago start date, January 4. Chicago in winter...joy *sarcasm* It's initial compliance. I'll be going there also in March and July.
Hey, I know all about Chicagoland in the winter - when I was in that software job I mentioned above, I *lived* there.  I spent 2 weeks at OTI in January a couple years ago. Tip #1 - when you start your car and then go out to clean off the windows while the car warms up, be damn sure you don't lock the keys in the car.  (February and March can be just as miserable as January)
Initial Compliance - oh joy. Depending on your background, it could be interesting or a real snooze.  For me, the latter - I'd been on the job for over 2 years before I went to that one, and had real problems keeping my eyes open at times. But it's a necessary evil - they don't let you take some of the good courses unless you have all the prerequisites on your record.
Which class are you going to in July?  Unless we get our training cancelled due to more budget cuts, I'm supposed to go up for a week that month.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Okay, and an opening rises from the dead. The Emblem Health position, which was pitched to me a month ago but then vanished off the radar, has just come back -- I have an interview in Manhattan tomorrow afternoon.
-- Bob
---------

<thumbs up>

Of course, nothing that good happens to me without complications these days. The interview's been pushed back to Friday, and when I got the confirmation in email, the description of the job is for a web developer, which is not what I remember the recruiter pitching to me. I don't have half the skills they're asking for. I have lodged a slight objection with the recruiter.
-- Bob
---------
Today's Winner For "Best Pay Rate In A Job Listing"
Quote:Pay Rate:  You'll Live Well
From a consulting firm called "Lab49" in NYC.
-- Bob
---------

I noticed on the news that Google's trying to make up for staff lost to Facebook... and the pay's getting pretty good. Do they have any openings that match your skill set?
--
Rob Kelk

I haven't seen any yet. I only heard about that earlier this morning, though, and haven't done any extensive searching yet.
-- Bob
---------
Useless Ad Of The Day
I quote in its entirety:
Quote:Our client is seeking a Software Developer.
(To be honest, if you click through two redirects to two different sites in a row, you eventually come upon something with actual requirements for the position.  But you'd think they'd be listed at this level, too.)
-- Bob
---------

Update... this looks to be a very rich week. I've had two phone interviews already, with two more to come.
-- Bob
---------

Given my handle, I hope you won't mind if I don't wish you luck.

Good luck, Bob.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Thanks.

While I'm here: today's funny lead-in to an online posting. The header reads:
Quote:: We use ones *and* zeros (calling .NET C# or Java folks!)
-- Bob
---------

Good luck, Bob!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And a month later... another rich week. I just got done with my second phone interview in the past five days, and third interview over all.

And a week or so back I realized I had lost track of all the "in progress" leads I had (things where a potential employer had gotten back to me). I sat down and dug through my email and notes and redid the corkboard in the library with the stuff that is active, and I discovered that I have seven "live" applications in process at this moment. (I had eight at the beginning of the week but Ingersoll-Rand decided not to continue with me after my phone interview with them.)

I've also finally taken an online assessment that lets me see my results, and it's done wonders to boost my mood.
-- Bob
---------