Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, here we go again.

Update time.

The F2F on 4/22 went very well -- looking forward to hearing back from them by Thursday of next week.

The phone interview on 4/21 didn't go as well as I thought it had, I guess, because they didn't want to go any further with me.

And the major consulting firm I had a 2nd-round phone interview with on the 14th has asked me to come in on Monday for a final face-to-face; if I don't blow that, I may be off the market real soon now. Wish me luck.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Break a (metaphorical) leg!
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Thanks. Since I posted that, it's been pushed back a day, so I have an extra 24 hours of anxiety to look forward to!
-- Bob
---------

And tomorrow is it... I really want this job, I hope I don't bungle this.
Edit:  After spending a fair chunk of last night refreshing myself on the the employer and the job, I'm doing what I can now to distract myself for the next few hours, so as not to let my tendencies toward useless anxiety overwhelm me...  Three hours to go.
-- Bob
---------

And I forgot to mention when I was on a couple hours ago -- I'm done and back. I think it went well, but I won't know for another week. Why am I always one of the first people interviewed? Why can't I be the last guy, so I hear right away?
-- Bob
---------

Because generally they interview the most promising candidates sooner.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
And I forgot to mention when I was on a couple hours ago -- I'm done and back. I think it went well, but I won't know for another week. Why am I always one of the first people interviewed? Why can't I be the last guy, so I hear right away?
Well, I did 2 interviews in the last 2 weeks. The VA in Fresno and being an OSHA senior hygienist slot in San Francisco. From what I've been told you have to go to places like Guam, Hawaii and Pago-Pago. You know, the tropics. On Uncle Sam's dime. It's definitely one way of building up airline miles
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And they got back to me much faster than they indicated and made me an offer. It looks like I am employed.
-- Bob
---------
Woo!
Outstanding Bob! Way to go.
All the best,Shayne and Cindy

Thanks!

And in only 57 messages, instead of 900+ this time!
-- Bob
---------

Excellent news!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Congratulations!

Yaaaaayyyy!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Sounds good! When does work start?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Two weeks from Monday. So I even get a little vacation ahead of time.
-- Bob
---------

Isn't two weeks from Monday a holiday? (Or is that only up here?)
--
Rob Kelk

To the best of my knowledge the 18th is not a holiday in the States... Mother's Day is the closest thing, and it's a week earlier.
-- Bob
---------

[Image: kermit-yay-flail-o.gif]
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

ordnance11 Wrote:Well, I did 2 interviews in the last 2 weeks. The VA in Fresno and being an OSHA senior hygienist slot in San Francisco. From what I've been told you have to go to places like Guam, Hawaii and Pago-Pago. You know, the tropics. On Uncle Sam's dime. It's definitely one way of building up airline miles

Ain't some of those location only served by USAF AMC? If so you'd have less airmiles and more noise and discomfort.

Congratulations!

Bob Schroeck Wrote:To the best of my knowledge the 18th is not a holiday in the States... Mother's Day is the closest thing, and it's a week earlier.
Ah, okay.

(When is Memorial Day, then?)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Rod H wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Well, I did 2 interviews in the last 2 weeks. The VA in Fresno and being an OSHA senior hygienist slot in San Francisco. From what I've been told you have to go to places like Guam, Hawaii and Pago-Pago. You know, the tropics. On Uncle Sam's dime. It's definitely one way of building up airline miles

Ain't some of those location only served by USAF AMC? If so you'd have less airmiles and more noise and discomfort.
No, there is civilian airlines that do serve those areas.  Not on a daily basis mind you. And AMC does have contract airlines serving does areas. 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Congrats on the successful job search! (and to Rob - Memorial Day in the US is last Monday in May - so three weeks from Monday.)

Congratulations, Bob! I hope this new job works out well for you!

Just for clarity's sake, what will you be doing at the new job?

Also, some news of the most excellent variety from my corner. Some of you may have noticed that I've been dropping out more often these days, and it has mostly been due to my job as a delivery driver at Papa Johns turning into a soul-sucking experience.

Well, I finally decided to jump ship and was immediately picked up as a delivery driver for one of the two new Jimmy Johns in the area. Their management culture is much more disciplined, and I am happy to say that my life has become that much more stress free because of it.

Thanks to that reduction in stress, I've finally got my druthers up enough to get my ass to the UTSA Main Campus... and I got to talk to several extremely helpful people.

Long story short, starting this Summer 2015 Term, I will begin my journey of higher education by going for an Associates in Applied Science at San Antonio College, and then a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering at UTSA, and hopefully wrapping that all up with post-graduate studies in Aerospace Engineering at UT-Austin.

And the best part is that I won't even have to take the SAT or ACT exam. Just a placement examination is all San Antonio College requires, and once I have my associate's degree in hand, UTSA will gladly snap me up for the Engineering Program.

The best part of all? The post-9/11 (aka Chapter 33) Montgomery GI Bill will pay for EVERYTHING.

You see, the housing stipend it comes with? It's based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an Active Duty E-5 with dependents... And they calculate it based on the location of the school itself, not where you live. Google Map San Antonio College and look at the neighborhood that's north of it.

KA-CHING!

More excellent news! I hope you'll enjoy your studies, BA.
--
Rob Kelk