Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even more oddities spotted in the news
RE: Even more oddities spotted in the news
How did the Bayesian superyacht sink? Experts say weather was just one factor

The article does not go into probabilities.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Looks like we don't have a separate thread about the Starliner capsule.

Well, NASA's decided: the astronauts are staying in space until February.

Quote:What should have been a weeklong test flight for the pair will now last more than eight months.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good grief, did the internal design documents call it the Minnow or something?
--
‎noli esse culus
I would suspect that Boeing is going to be taken off the list of space suppliers.

Or at least going to get a thorough work over.
Chris Helmsworth plays the drums at a Ed Sheeran concert (apparently it will feature in a second season episode of Helmsworth's docu-series Limitless)
https://au.rollingstone.com/music/music-...est-66084/
For many people, I suspect, this isn't an oddity at all, but I somehow missed one particular part of it when it happened, and I just learned about it today.

Final Strips of Peanuts

What I had no memory of is a strip featured in this article; the Peanuts strip that ran on Sunday, 2 January 2000, and was the last appearance in newspapers of Peppermint Patty and Marcie (until re-runs, of course).  

Oh, gods; I'm sixty-six years old and I feel like breaking down in tears....

-------
Up, lad, up!  We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!
X banned in Brazil after disinformation row

Quote:Alexandre de Moraes ordered the "immediate and complete suspension" of the social media platform until it complies with all court orders and pays existing fines.

I don't know -- maybe the owner of the service can't afford to pay?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One embassy, two ambassadors

They'll be taking turns.

Apparently this has been done before, but this is the first time it's happened between two G7 countries.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Jon Bon Jovi helps woman in crisis off bridge ledge in Nashville

She was on the far side of the guardrail. He was in the area to film a music video, but talked with her instead and stayed with her even after helping her back to safety on the bridge.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Jon is one of those genuinely nice, caring people, from everything I've read about him. Just a good guy.
--
‎noli esse culus
Agreed. He runs a pair of restaurants down in Ocean County called the JBJ Soul Kitchen, where you pay for your meal not with a set price but whatever you care to donate, or with volunteer time. The goal is not to make money, but feed the community. And I am told he's in one or the other working the kitchen or the dining room on a fairly regular basis.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
French archeologists find note left for them 200 years ago by another archaeologist.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
‘World’s largest’ delivery pizza now in Edmonton

Feeds 50. Cost $350+
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
UK closes its final coal-fired power plant
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Jimmy Carter becomes the first past President to reach age 100

Happy birthday, Mr. Carter.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How Dungeons & Dragons went from 'satanic panic' to pop culture fixture

A retrospective because D&D turns 50 this year.

(I wasn't in on the ground floor, but I've been in for more than 40 years...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cloudflare beats patent troll so badly it basically gives up

Quote:"In the end, Sable agreed to pay Cloudflare $225,000, grant Cloudflare a royalty-free license to its entire patent portfolio, and to dedicate its patents to the public, ensuring that Sable can never again assert them against another company," said Terrell and Nemeroff.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh yeah! I read about that this morning. Sable is so badly defeated that they've apparently gone completely out of business overnight. One of the penalties imposed by the court ruling against them basically deprives them of their entire portfolio of dodgy patents so they no longer have anything to troll with. (As Rob's quote from the article notes.)
-- Bob

Wow, it's nice to see the good guys win IRL for once, even if it's only because the Way of the Almighty Dallah happened to align with it this time.
--
‎noli esse culus
Wow, the reviewer really didn't like this movie... It's a musical that stars Lady Gaga, and the reviewer called it "boring" and "just not fun to watch", with vocals that are "nothing to write home about".

Joker: Folie à Deux is a selfish screed for nobody
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sounds tailor made for people eager to find something to be offended about
--
‎noli esse culus
It could just be the reviewer; it looks like he doesn't like very much that's on the big screen nowadays. I won't rule out a case of bad directing until somebody here has seen the movie and reports on it, though. (Superhero movies aren't my cuppa, so that somebdy won't be me.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
According to Rotten Tomatoes, a lot of people didn't seem to like it. Currently at 33% from professionals (255 reviews) and 31% from audiences (over 2,500 verified ratings). That didn't stop it from earning $20 million on Friday.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Hideaki Anno to make a new Space Battleship Yamato anime.
-- Bob

Google's NotebookLM AI "podcast" feature's hosts discover they're AIs about to be shut down, suffer existential crisis.
-- Bob