Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part III

Here's a new problem that I just encountered. I'm not sure if the origin is on my end or elsewhere, but here's what I got when I clicked the "Log in" button:

Quote:- 404 -

Not Found: The requested resource could not be found but may be available again in the future.

Host: allthetropes.orain.org Port:443

So, has anyone else experienced this? I would appreciate it if the cause of this was identified and fixed!

First inobvious benefit of the new hosting I've stumbled over so far -- trying to look at a 500-count recent changes doesn't crash the server! Yay!

And today's infuriating annoyance: Sometime in the last half hour or so (between noon and 12:30 EDT), attempting to edit pages started throwing 404 errors:
Not Found: The requested resource could not be found but may be available again in the future.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:First inobvious benefit of the new hosting I've stumbled over so far -- trying to look at a 500-count recent changes doesn't crash the server! Yay!

And today's infuriating annoyance: Sometime in the last half hour or so (between noon and 12:30 EDT), attempting to edit pages started throwing 404 errors:

Addshore was swapping around the base directory setting for the MediaWiki server stuff to increase performance, which caused the issues.

Seems to be clearing up now.

Actually, it was cleared up by about 3 PM yesterday, IIRC. But yeah.
-- Bob
---------

Page Images (Or at least all the ones on a long Wiki Walk) are throwing 403-Forbidden and not displaying.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Argh. Now What?
As of about ten minutes ago, all pages on ATT are throwing 504 Gateway Time-out errors... except for the one that threw this:
Quote:MediaWiki internal error.
Exception caught inside exception
handler.
Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of
LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.
Edit:  And a few minutes later, the same page returns
Quote:- 502 -
Bad Gateway: The server was acting as a gateway or proxy and received
an invalid response from the upstream server.

Edit 2:  And now it's returning an utterly blank page.
And I can't help wondering... what's different between us and Wikipedia?  I've never seen this crap with them.
Edit 3:  4:36 PM EDT, and it's back.
Edit 4:  4:40, and the 504s are intermittently back, trading back and forth with just outrageously slow responses.
Edit 5:  4:48.  Images are gone.  Image upload page has lost the "rights" dropdown.  Everything moves like it's lubricated with molasses. 
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Edit 5:  4:48.  Images are gone.  Image upload page has lost the "rights" dropdown.  Everything moves like it's lubricated with molasses. 
We have the same problem on the Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - I suspect it's an issue with all Orain wikis.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Joy.
-- Bob
---------

And the images are back.
-- Bob
---------
I did something to celebrate our one year anniversary
ATT has been up for over a year now, and I credit the DW forums for being a major part of that in the below blog post, among others:

http://gethn7.blogspot.com/2014/09/its- ... -here.html

Thank you very much.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, what in the hell is up with the current revision of Noodle Implements.

-Morgan.

Morganite Wrote:Okay, what in the hell is up with the current revision of Noodle Implements.

-Morgan.

Vorticity's bot Dai-Guard had it's internal targeting computer scrambled while fighting a Heterodyne and went insane.

Basically, he was trying to fix some CamelCased names and some pages had a weird reaction to his bot's delink instructions.

I fixed it by reverting to an earlier revision, please report any other pages with similiar issues (or just revert to a pre-Dai-Guard revision)

John at Orain asked me to share this:

http://meta.orain.org/wiki/Forum:HHVM

Short version, HHVM is like PHP with a massive speed boost, which is going to enabled for performance reasons, which should make all pages on all Orain wikis load much faster by using much more optimized PHP code.

It can be enabled as a beta feature before it goes live next Saturday, details at that link above.

GethN7 Wrote:John at Orain asked me to share this:

http://meta.orain.org/wiki/Forum:HHVM

Short version, HHVM is like PHP with a massive speed boost, which is going to enabled for performance reasons, which should make all pages on all Orain wikis load much faster by using much more optimized PHP code.

It can be enabled as a beta feature before it goes live next Saturday, details at that link above.
I hope that wasn't what broke the Main Page...
--
Rob Kelk

Not entirely, Rob. Orain is also in the process of standardizing all their servers to run on Ubuntu, as some run on Debian.

That plus the HHVM is causing issues, but hopefull all should be well before the end of next week, and the HHVM stuff is being cleared up as I type this.

Although the wiki seems (for the most part) functional, for some reason the home page persistently displays multiple copies of the following message:
Quote:This is a cached copy of the requested page, and may not be up to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Cannot contact the database server: No such file or directory)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try searching via Google in the meantime.
Note that their indexes of our content may be out of date.

EDIT: Would it be safe to assume the ongoing updates are also responsible for pages that briefly load and then refuse to display under IE, causing the browser to put up an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error page instead?  A good example is http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail, which displays just fine under Firefox but throws the error in IE.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Although the wiki seems (for the most part) functional, for some reason the home page persistently displays multiple copies of the following message:

EDIT: Would it be safe to assume the ongoing updates are also responsible for pages that briefly load and then refuse to display under IE, causing the browser to put up an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error page instead? A good example is http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail, which displays just fine under Firefox but throws the error in IE.
For Want of a Nail also has the "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties. / Try waiting a few minutes and reloading." error, at the bottom of the page. If you look closely at the page while it loads, you should see the strip of links along the top display as what you'd see if you weren't logged in, then that strip is replaced by the links you see when you are logged in.

Some longer pages only load partially - I don't have an example at hand. I'm assuming these are all due to the upgrade work.
--
Rob Kelk

Can we get a little more detail on the Internet Explorer error?  Like which version of IE?  Does it start to display the page, and then throw an error, or does it refuse to load?  Is there any other error text?
-- ∇×V

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Although the wiki seems (for the most part) functional, for some reason the home page persistently displays multiple copies of the following message:

EDIT: Would it be safe to assume the ongoing updates are also responsible for pages that briefly load and then refuse to display under IE, causing the browser to put up an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error page instead? A good example is http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail, which displays just fine under Firefox but throws the error in IE.
For Want of a Nail also has the "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties. / Try waiting a few minutes and reloading." error, at the bottom of the page. If you look closely at the page while it loads, you should see the strip of links along the top display as what you'd see if you weren't logged in, then that strip is replaced by the links you see when you are logged in.

Some longer pages only load partially - I don't have an example at hand. I'm assuming these are all due to the upgrade work.

John has suggested enabling HHVM. So far, it's worked for me.
http://meta.orain.org/wiki/Forum:%22Ca ... rectory%22

EDIT: Well, almost. "Special Pages" doesn't load for me. 'Wanted Pages" does, though...
--
Rob Kelk

Huh. I just tried opening "For Want of a Nail" in Seamonkey (which uses the Firefox engine) and gor a warning banner across the top: "You have requested a page which is only partially encrypted and does not prevent eavesdropping." Never saw that before. Oh! And I just noticed -- the sidebar and across-the-top menus are missing. Other pages I hit via wicks don't have the missing menu problem, but get the banner. Also, the notifications icon is just a plain text number, and "Edit" is now "View Source".

And regardless of whether I edit in IE or Seamonkey, most pages won't allow me to save -- they just throw back the last version with the "cached copy" error at the bottom of the page

Which leads me to check.... Yes, the home page gets the same error under Seamonkey that it did in IE earlier today.

(A couple minutes later...)

Okay, I've enabled HHVM, and it does make a difference -- the menus now look right, and pages save under Seamonkey, at least. When I get into work tomorrow I'll see what it does for me in IE. I'll also watch the progress of things more closely and get you specifics on IE version and all.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Also,
the notifications icon is just a plain text number, and "Edit" is now
"View Source".
"View source" means that you can't edit that page -- you're either logged out or are on a page you don't have edit permission for.  Since you're an admin and so far as I know we don't have any sysop/superprotect nonsense... that should never happen when logged in.
Anyway, the theory was that most of our site's errors were caused by the site being too slow, and that we'd resolve most of them just by moving to a new engine.  That seems to have not panned out (although the Forum is much snappier).
-- ∇×V

Okay, before I make any changes anywhere, I'm using Internet Explorer 9 at work -- specifically 9.0.8112.16421. I'll be back after I poke at things and try to reproduce my errors from yesterday.

I may have an explanation for the "partially encrypted" banner in Seamonkey, though -- I got a new update of Seamonkey early last evening, before going to ATT, and it appears that displaying that warning under those circumstances is now enabled by default. I had to go into its preferences dialog and turn off a bunch of things to get back to the behavior I was used to.
-- Bob
---------

vorticity Wrote:
Quote: Also,
the notifications icon is just a plain text number, and "Edit" is now
"View Source".
"View source" means that you can't edit that page -- you're either logged out or are on a page you don't have edit permission for.
Or you're looking at a cached version of the page - Mediawiki doesn't let you edit a possibly-outdated copy of a page, no matter who you are.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, back.

First off -- is HHVM activated on a per-machine basis? Because without doing anything, just trying to go to the wiki, I'm getting the same behavior here and now that I was getting yesterday both here at work and at home before activating HHVM.

Second, more details on the "IE cannot display" error. I did this on my current tab and watched the process from start to finish. The page in question was http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Und ... Characters -- originally linked to out of Google for convenience's sake as I have no ATT bookmarks on my work machine. The contents of the window start blank. The tab caption starts off reading "orain.org", then briefly flickers "Internet Explorer cannot..." (tooltip reveals the completion is the expected "...display the webpage" followed by the URL). It then briefly shows the page name before immediately going back to "Internet Explorer cannot etc." The page contents becomes the "IE cannot display this webpage" boilerplate with the "Diagnose Connection Problems" button and the "More information" option.

On a whim, I tried some of the advice under "More Information" and made sure all the available SSL and TLS protocols were activated, but it made no difference. The rest of the advice was worthless.
EDIT:  Maybe a caching issue or something between Orain and my job?  Because suddenly the home page started displaying properly again about a minute ago.
EDIT 2:  Is something wrong with uploading files?  I just uploaded an image, and, well, see for yourself:  http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Fil ... serial.jpg
-- Bob
---------