Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life, Order 66 and A Ball of Yarn.

Quote:Jorlem wrote:

I kinda wonder how much the prequel movies were effected by the EU, actually. I know they included some small bits like the name of the capitol planet, but how much else might have been influenced by the preexisting ideas?
None.  Lucas has, on several occasions, mentioned that he never looks at the EU.  In fact, great swaths of the EU were utterly invalidated by the release of the Prequels.
Courscant was part of Timothy Zhan's stories when they were going to be canon and he and Lucas had agreed upon the name (it has a latin base in something, and Lucas likes twisting real-world languages; I just wish I could find my interview with him where he talked about all this).  The original name was going to be something based off of Apollyon or Abaddon (something demonic, but I don't remember).  Zhan released the books before Lucas had a chance to review them (found the second one, on sale, at an airport book store before he knew the first one had been written), thus getting them relegated to EU and not canon.  At one point (I don't know if he's ever relented on this), Lucas stated that only the movies, themselves, are canon, and things that happen in the books that are not depicted on screen are EU.
And Lucas has said, several times, that Boba died in the Sarlaac.  All the fanbois just can't let it go.  Just like Darth Maul.  Lucas said he died, but they're bringing him back in Clone Wars, which, I'm fine with, because CW is not the same universe (the CW Anakin would not fall for fear, he'll fall for pride).
When I go to run a Star Wars game, I usually look through some of the EU stuff, to see if anything catches my fancy.  I know I'm not going to be playing in a canon universe (mine tend to be a bit more grey, and usually have more sex in them), but too much of the EU is just fanbois going "squee" or "i wanta be the most 1334 jedi evar!"  So, tack another chalk mark in the "why Mark wasn't a fan of fanfics before this" column.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 06-17-2012, 03:03 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 06-17-2012, 03:35 AM
[No subject] - by HoagieOfDoom - 06-17-2012, 04:00 AM
[No subject] - by Jorlem - 06-17-2012, 06:49 AM
[No subject] - by sweno - 06-17-2012, 07:27 AM
[No subject] - by Mark Skarr - 06-17-2012, 07:54 AM
[No subject] - by Jinx999 - 06-17-2012, 09:23 AM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM