Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin for Fanfic Writers

There were things I should have said in the projects post, but ran out of the sense for.

I think the instructions are enough to allow someone else to write the relevant pactio bits. I am also willing or interested in making the attempt.

However, I don't know enough about the cast of Azumanga Daioh, especially for the fanfic in question. I would probably need to be told the intended concept for each character.

People are complicated, and summaries and translations both simplify. If I try and translate a summary, I will likely simplify most of the meaning out. For pactios, it is best to have clear and distinct concepts for each person before translating.

Going off wiki, I'm guessing the seven you are after are Chiyo, Tomo, Koyomi, Sakaki, Ayumu, Kagura, and Kaori.

I'm going off wiki for these concepts, they are the best that I can come up with on my own, however poor they are.

I did pick the choice that seems most amusing for me, of each, to translate. (Or in some cases, I'm just lazy.)

Not that I don't have enmity towards any of them. I simply don't know them well enough to have information beyond wiki.

Chiyo Concepts: Intelligent youth, beauty, small, wealth, dog equestrian.

Let's see, Canine and Equine, suggest that canite might be a dog rider by analogy with equite. However, I think that makes more sense as English usage.

Picking an adjective and a noun, intelligent youth, feminine, might be sensata juventa.

Tomo Concepts: Thief of Names, Idiot, competitive, heedless, bully,

Nominative of thief and genitive of name.

Thief of Name, Fur or Feles (also means cat), and nominis for 'of name', or nominum 'of names'. (Thanks to Proginoskes's link to wiktionary, I ended up not needing to dig out my Wheelock's for the plural genitive of that word.)

(Fujiko Mine entry said something about Tomo using the name.)

Koyomi Concepts: poor singer, brutal, atheletic and studious

Let's go with Brutal Singer.

Stolida, brutal, female, single, and nominative adjective. Cantrix, single female nominative for female singer. Stolida can also mean stupid, but I don't mean that here.

Sakaki Concepts: Enemy of cats, enemy of animals, large

inimica, personal enemy/the enemy, bestiarum, of animals/of the animals

Ayumu Concepts: Idiot, lazy, stiff, storm lover,

deses morio looks like lazy idiot.

Kagura Concepts: Athlete, swimmer, idiot

Fatuus natator, idiotic swimmer. I went with masculine here, because I had a masculine word for swimmer, natator, and didn't care to dig around for a female version. (I figure I've enough insulting titles, they aren't likely to see use, might as well get even lazier for them.)

Kaori Concepts: unrequited crush, astronomy, psychological weakness?

delirus magus, another adjective/noun combo. Either mentally impaired astrologer, which might be close enough to astronomy club. Or, mad mage.

Messages In This Thread
Latin for Fanfic Writers - by RomanFanboy - 02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Latin for Fanfiction Writers, Pactio section - by RomanFanboy - 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Projects - by RomanFanboy - 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
[No subject] - by Proginoskes - 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 02-17-2013, 04:34 AM
[No subject] - by RomanFanboy - 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 02-18-2013, 02:48 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 02-18-2013, 04:05 AM
[No subject] - by RomanFanboy - 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
[No subject] - by RomanFanboy - 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM