Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tapestry (Tabletop game setting/ruleset WIP)

Quote:Bluemage wrote:
Oh, and Manytales?  Spirits are repeated patterns plus belief.  A weapon enchantment, for example, wouldn't be a spirit unless enough people believed it was- and even then, it wouldn't be sapient unless enough people believed it to be.  A sapient enchantment, as opposed to a spirit of a whole category of enchantments, is really freaking rare.  In fact, that's what distinguishes a legendary weapon from the rest- enough people know of it, tell stories about it, and imitate it that it gains its own spirit from all the belief.
Even then, you're not binding a spirit into a weapon.  The pattern you bound into it is becoming a spirit after the fact.  With mass-produced enchantments, you're more likely to get a primal spirit- basically a mass of mystical energy with a few basic instincts- than an actual conscious being, anyway.
That said, binding preexisting spirits into things would be potentially possible, and I could see it being its own line of abilities.  It just isn't quite what I was already doing.  Congratulations- you've added a new skill tree!
O.k.I was wasn't even thinking of sapient spirits here (Except perhaps the painted mage bit). 

Sapient Artifacts (which are not always weapons by nature), are usually older than remembered history.  
They are more of something you go Adventuring to find.  The rumored items are about 99% mcguffin anyways.

Most of the Simple Artefact Bindings are the size of buildings, or end up having a building built around them. 
One started out as a simple set of hot&cold boxes, and ended up as a Bakery, and Ice House.

But hey!

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
[No subject] - by itsune9tl - 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM
[No subject] - by Bluemage - 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
[No subject] - by itsune9tl - 11-08-2014, 03:40 AM
[No subject] - by Bluemage - 01-15-2015, 12:50 AM