Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters
I just got back from a matinee showing of the new Ghostbusters movie, and... I enjoyed it.  I think it's worth going to see.  It's different -- it is in no way a line-for-line remake, and it doesn't have the same ratio of comedy to action/horror than the original, being a bit lighter on the comedy.  And the four main characters are different in many ways -- none of them is a Venkman-style con artist, for example.  But it's good film, driven as strongly by character and backstory as by the events they find themselves in.  There are plenty of winks and nods to the original, including a great set of cameos, but is its own thing, unbeholden to the first film.  If it has a fault, I would say that the comic writing is weaker at the beginning than it should be; but by the end every funny bit rang perfectly.
Oh, and is mandatory these days, you have to sit through the credits. There are multiple scenes interspersed among them, plus a final post-credits scene that is either a callback or a sequel hook.

Anyway, I spent just under $10 and didn't feel like I'd wasted it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Messages In This Thread
Ghostbusters - by Bob Schroeck - 07-21-2016, 11:42 PM
[No subject] - by Shepherd - 07-22-2016, 12:26 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 07-22-2016, 03:20 AM