Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on 3D software (DAZ Studio, Poser?)

Quote:robkelk wrote:
You've come to the right place...
This is absolutely amazing. Thanks very much, this is a perfect answer and covers stuff I didn't know about or think to ask - particularly the information regarding the difference between the various base models. I really appreciate the recommendation to pick up V4 (and M4) due to the wealth of existing resources available.

This is the kind of thing I... sorta imagined might be the case, but didn't really grok. This spells it out very clearly, slices through all of the confusion, and the wiki resource links will surely be extremely useful. 

I also wasn't...well, I mean, I did hear that Poser and DAZ Studio have common roots in the same space, but I wasn't quite clear on whether or how the ecosystems are still linked. Given all that's said, I'll certainly go with trying to learn to work in DAZ Studio. 

The dynamic cloth thing that Poser does look very intriguing - I've just Googled it - but, yeah, it's probably not essential given my simple needs relative to many people, it's just interesting on an 'oh shiny' level. Possibly because I've caught myself staring at butts not because, hey, that's a nice butt, but because, hm, okay, so that density of denim would crease in that way, gotta remember that...
Quote:Star Ranger4 wrote:
Given what you've said, Daz would probably be your best option. There is another option out there called Blender, which is totally open source and free, but has a very steep learning curve; I rather fear that you'd spend more time working the program than having the program work for you.
Yes. I figured it'd be most suitable to work in something like Poser or DAZ Studio since my primary concern is figure work and, well, quite literally poses for characters, and this seemed like the simplest available solution.
I have considered looking into Blender, Sketchup and the like for cheating on detailed backgrounds, since I'm also pretty weak on drawing those, but probably that'd just involve trying to download some stock environments and just swinging the camera around to get different angles on stuff. I suspect Blender would be suitable for this. 

But having taken a short workshop on 3D Studio Max back in the day when it was called 3D Studio Max, I know I'm probably not gonna wanna dive too deep down that rabbit hole. I spent most of that afternoon thinking, fuck no, I am not doing this. 
-- Acyl

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-31-2016, 06:54 PM
[No subject] - by Star Ranger4 - 10-31-2016, 06:58 PM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 11-01-2016, 04:17 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 11-01-2016, 03:14 PM