Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Court Strikes Down "Unconstitutional" Gerrymandering in North Carolina
RE: Federal Court Strikes Down "Unconstitutional" Gerrymandering in North Carolina
(01-25-2018, 06:05 AM)hazard Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 07:42 PM)JFerio Wrote: That's why I put it at the END of the list. I recognize that the courts do NOT want to get into that political can of worms if they can help it. Better to try to get them to do a bipartisan committee to redraw the lines first, before smacking them with the "nuke it from orbit" option.

That's not what I meant.

Granting the power to redistrict to judges lets judges choose who elects them. Admittedly this is somewhat better than letting the guys writing the laws decide who elects them, but the judges get to decide what laws are legal.

I figured it was what you were arguing. Again, it's the nuclear option that they'd prefer not to use for that reason. But I'm also sure we can't trust Republicans to just do what's right in terms of voluntarily doing a bipartisan redrawing or bringing in an actual independent committee.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
RE: Federal Court Strikes Down "Unconstitutional" Gerrymandering in North Carolina - by LynnInDenver - 01-25-2018, 08:02 AM