Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado GOP trying religious freedom
Colorado GOP trying religious freedom
Only they're calling it "Live and Let Live". http://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/fi...206_01.pdf

Basically, license to discriminate if you can somehow justify that it's against your religion to NOT discriminate. It's going to be hard to prove that someone doesn't "sincerely" hold it as a religious belief. And, of course, such licensed discrimination makes it harder for anyone who doesn't hew strictly to the "white, straight, cisgendered" stereotypes to simply exist in public.

BTW, it's against my personal religious beliefs to do business with any company or individual who uses religion as their own personal shield for shitty, uncivilized behavior like discriminating against someone for a fact of their immutable makeup. Because I staunchly refuse to not show affection for my husband in public because someone doesn't think they can do business with me because it condones such behavior.

Yes, I'm venting. I'm old enough to remember Amendment 2, which attempted to prevent the State of Colorado from enacting anti-discrimination statutes to protect LGBT, under the guise of "it would grant LGBT special rights", and got us quite rightly labeled as The Hate State.

Plus, I view it as treating some religions differently than others to carve out this sort of exemption. After all, my husband, an atheist, doesn't have an easy piece of "reference material" to refer to so he could take advantage of the exemption, and that qualifies to some as a religion to be an atheist.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
Colorado GOP trying religious freedom - by LynnInDenver - 03-23-2018, 06:16 PM