Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado GOP trying religious freedom
RE: Colorado GOP trying religious freedom
(03-25-2018, 12:20 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Being religious means, among other things, making choices to live in the world in accordance to your perception of God's will.

The people that promote these "religious freedom" laws don't seem to get that. They want to exercise their religious conscience --well and good-- but without having to make any sacrifices. What they want is for other people to make the sacrifice for their sake.

I am not impressed by those who think that living a religious life gives you license to shift the burden to others.

Yeah, I do agree with that part. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him "having to stop selling wedding cakes" while this has been playing out; from one standpoint, that's the choice he should have made at the beginning, as opposed to expecting people to quietly leave once he had realized that it was a same sex wedding they wanted a cake for. And to a certain extent, attempts to "legislate morality" also fall under trying to force a burden on others so they don't have to deal with a world that doesn't comport itself in accordance with their perception of God's Will.

I do have one piece of basically religion that I follow; faith is something I consider a private thing. I don't ask someone what religion or not they follow. Many of my friends I don't know unless they've actually volunteered it. I had one that I literally didn't know they were heavily involved in their local Catholic church until their funeral. Religion tends to be the organized public rituals and teachings, and the public actions in the service of one's faith and beliefs. That part can be good, and I recognize the comfort that those rituals provide thousand of people every day, but I object when they insist that those have to be publicly coddled in a way that I can't be myself in ways that technically don't harm anyone, and indeed, them requiring me to not be myself harms me greatly, and very much more than the perceived harm from the challenge to their worldview of what's correct.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colorado GOP trying religious freedom - by LynnInDenver - 03-25-2018, 05:28 PM