Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
Well, practically speaking, with decks at 3.5m not including the interfloor frame/equipment spaces, a half-height deck is still tall enough for most people to stand up straight in. That's not the Starfleet way, though, except on runabouts and Defiants. Since the point is to duplicate the big-ship experience in a miniature hull, I'll be working as hard as I can to put everyone in, at worst, quarters with two little bedrooms on either side of a shared toilet/sonic shower bathroom. 1.5x3m is enough floor space for a single bed with a chest of drawers and room to dress at the foot, and roughly the same space can fit a bathroom with an upright shower and a closet or entryway, as I well know since those were the rough measurements of the apartment I had a while back. Slap another bedroom on the opposite side and put the shared living area/lounge nearby, maybe have a fold-out desk/wall monitor that can be used siting on the side or foot of the bed, and it's a little tight but better than a hammock in the rollbar Jeffries tubes. Though the dudeslab I have stuffed up there to get at the aft RCS thruster actually looks kinda comfy, if he had a couple of cushion pads for where he's leaned back against the inside of the hull.

I didn't make a render today, but the RCS cluster is right at the part of the rollbar where it bends from the uprights to the top, and the servicing position is leaned back at 50 degrees or so in a corner and reaching overhead to the actual mechanics. There is actually enough space in the horizontal section of the access way for a hammock or two as well, though none of that is going to be fun for a claustrophobe... I haven't decided yet whether to put in a window or two up there, though a wall monitor with general computer access would probably be just as effective if you set it to an exterior view or a landscape. The long horizontal part of the warp pylons actually ended up being surprisingly spacious, and the nacelles even have room for an internal inspection corridor now that I un-shrunk them again. (The render above is as they currently are, the older ones in the 3D thread show them reduced to 75% horizontally and vertically.) I'm going to line the walkway with tanks for compressed atmosphere and stick one of those airlocks with the 2.5m docking ring as seen on the refit TOS ships on either side, since there's an internal airlock to get to the actual warp nacelles anyway since they're open to space along the sides and trusting a force field to keep your atmo in all the time is foolish.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by - by classicdrogn - 04-14-2018, 02:46 AM