Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
Heh, there'd certainly be worse things to have at your back than a friendly Constitution class. It could also be a holocummunicator as seen on the DS9 Defiant and an Excelsior refit to that era's technology. I'm still unsure; it is conveniently adjacent to the possibly-Operations-possibly-Tactical side of the big dual console and also to a side-console location not yet further defined that could be the other of either of those or Engineering or Science, any of which would be logically suitaed to running a transporter. I got distracted into a wiki-walk on Memory Alpha cataloguing the various canon bridge consoles and shipboard rooms but did plan the bridge floor layout before that even if actually getting the boolean tool to work to cut out the layers was being tetchy for some reason. It's not quite the standard redressed-redressed-redressed-redressed-TOS bridge set, obviously, and the layout is moderately asymmetrical due to following the carpet patterns - the captain's chair is on a small dias on the highest, rear platform level with a curved railing in front of it to keep people from falling off into the two-steps down area with the double console; this is for the captain to lean on dramatically after standing from their chair to react about a situation or talk with someone on the main viewscreen etc. There may or may not be a standing console or two on the railing as well. The double as mentioned is in a section that's two steps down from that, and also offset slightly to port (left when facing forward) to match the circle defined by the arc in the tail of the musical note of the original rug image.

Eh, I should just get it modeled and show a picture rather than try to describe it.

On a different note, among the information I've soaked up while messing around on the internet researching visuals is that the Excelsior is in fact not Deco style, but the successor Streamline (or Art) Moderne, which my original idea of what to rip off for interiors (falke2009's Nova Class Refit series of images, such as the bridge) also fits decently well. The difference in shapes is mainly that Streamline emphasizes the horizontal rather than the vertical and uses many more curves rather than Deco's cubism-derived angularity, and less fiddly details in general. Aside from feeling justified about adjusting the materials from woodgrain to solid colors and metals I'm not going to change course again, though, and Streamline Moderne is usually rolled into Deco now anyway though at the time the split between the designers involved was apparently quite vehement. Sadly, changing the interior styling so much in that respect means I pretty much have to go with the horrifically poor LCARS interface design in order to maintain some visual continuity, though I can at least probably get away with replacing the font.

Here's a blog post with a couple of images that summarize the characteristic traits of the two architectural styles, though they tend more to the differences than the commonalities:
http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blog...hic-primer
Not mentioned in the Streamline Moderne image is that it pioneered the wide adoption of big walls of glass blocks rather than more traditional windows.

Also, mushroom leather is due to arrive on the market soon. Just thought that was interesting.

edit: SHould I make a joke with a bonsai tree in the Ready Room that ahs a little sign reading "Arboretum" or make an honest attempt at fitting in a small hydroponics bay? There's definitely no room for the big spaces seen in thre or four eps total of TOS and TNG combined, but "Airponics" (so called despite clearly having the plants in soil on the lower level shelves and it being among the requested supplies when Kes was setting it up) was farily prom,inent in Voyager, and I do still have the tentatively-labeled Aux Cargo 2 or some of the reduced-headroom/sloped floor spaces left by the shaper of the saucer... or on either side of the Excelsior-style deflector dish for that matter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by - by classicdrogn - 04-22-2018, 02:11 PM