Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by
Most of what I spent time doing on the model today doesn't look any different from outside - fusing the Excelsior-style hull extensions into the hull objects and adjusting the frame to match the new shape. I did completely rebuild the new nose and deflector before adding it to the hull; unfortunately the changes to the overall shape while welding it in plaxe left a few bits of the frame poking out through the skin again. Also added top and bottom sensor domes and blocks for their Jeffries access spaces, and boolean objects to cut out some nice bay windows for the rooms on either side when I eventually finish messing with the hull geometry.

[Image: dbuY61p.png]

[Image: GgWT5rv.png]

Visible here are the deflector gribblies, the Deflector Control room and Jeffries access (the red hatches open vertically due to limited space, and the second level is reached via the ladder steps built into the forward wall. There are also floor hatches for maintaining the ventral sensor dome in there) and on either side a mission-configurable room that can be any of several types of lab, VIP suites, a gym with treadmills and weight machines, a hydroponics bay, etc. The starboard (top right) side has direct turbolift access, while the port has to go through the corridor to the shuttle bay or starboard room. I really like how they turned out with the curved second level and bay windows; put a privacy wall around the aft end for a bedroom, some seating and a staircase by the windows for a living area, a replicator and dining table over the frame bits sticking out of the floor, and make the inboard corner a little closet-size sink-commode-and-shower bathroom with a short entryway going past outside of it from the door(s), and it would make a really nifty little apartment depending on what was actually outside the windows. That's probably the default VIP suite layout Wink

At the lower right you can see bits of the shuttle bay with shuttle Nyan-Lol Fung and its many stacks and racks of cargo containers. (You can't see the shuttle bay floor because it's in wireframe mode, so there's a frame member and the inside of the hull underneath them and the floor marking floating in space.) The hallway access doors that you can just see the boolean object for peeking out in between are actually slightly off center on the forward wall to allow for the max-lading stacks on either side of it since the turbolift shaft is just a bit too wide for them to fit perfectly symmetrically.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A >small< ship, but still no stars to steer her by - by classicdrogn - 04-25-2018, 04:48 AM