Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Brainstorming] Intelligent Devices for non-"Lyrical Nanoha" mages
RE: [OOC][Brainstorming] Intelligent Devices for non-"Lyrical Nanoha" mages
(12-27-2018, 11:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: As I understand it, the average Midchildan or Belkan Intelligent Device (and the above-average ones like Raising Heart, Bardiche, and Graf Eisen) assist their masters by casting minor spells (usually but not always defensive) by drawing upon their masters' magical power reserves, and help with their masters' mathematical calculations for the really big spells.
(Interestingly, some of the Academy City espers might find this sort of Device useful, since some Skills - including Electromaster, Teleport, and Aero Hand - have mathematical components in their use. Washuu-chan might have already implanted the equivalent of one in Accelerator to offset the brain damage he took in canon when he was shot while healing Last Order.)

The more that this has been kicking around in the back of my mind, the more I like the idea of Kuroko getting this sort of Device - just for the math. It's the only way I see to offset her biggest vulnerability: her need to calculate her jumps immediately before making them.

A Device wouldn't remove that vulnerability altogether, but it would cut the necessary time to make the calculations down to nearly nothing (from a human perspective), removing Kuroko's one-second delay between repeated teleports.

Kuroko's ranged-combat attack is to teleport large-nails/small-spikes into her opponents' clothing and weapons, pinning the opponents and ruining their sidearms... so a transforming Intelligent Device would be overkill for her. Looking at the appropriate page on the Nanoha Wikia, I'm thinking an Auxiliary control-type Boost Device (modified to boost esper ability instead of casting a boost-up spell) would be appropriate for Kuroko. It would also be the easiest type of Device to make, if I'm reading the description correctly.

Now... what would this Device look like? Auxiliary control-type Devices don't have (or need) multiple forms, since they aren't essentially concealed weapons. And we've seen that a Device can be fit into something as small as a glass marble (hello, Raising Heart!) and worn as a pendant - but Kuroko isn't one for jewelry.

Maybe an implant? Boost Devices aren't AIs, so there's no issue with sophonts rights here.

EDIT:

Ooooooohhhhh... BA, remember that idea you had for giving the Misaka Sisters some actual railguns?

Imagine a railgun as an Intelligent Device's weapon mode.

What else should these do?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][Brainstorming] Intelligent Devices for non-"Lyrical Nanoha" mages - by robkelk - 01-17-2019, 09:30 PM