Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020, the election campaigns have begun
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun
(08-02-2019, 10:23 AM)Labster Wrote: Voters like "change", whatever that means.  But sometimes they want it more than others.  I'm with Rob on this.  I still think people want change, and that's kind of the global zeitgeist now.  To the first group above that means that they see Trump as causing changes that they like and generally annoying the elites.  The second group of "undecideds" can be won by presenting a platform that shakes up the economy a bit.  You know, like maybe a platform that resembles European centrist parties instead of continuing down the economic centre-right that the neoliberals did.

I suspect for a lot of them, the ideal "shake the economy up a bit" means "doing things that make it a lot easier to do early capitalism things, and impossibly difficult to keep doing late capitalism things that are stripping us all of resources and the means to acquire resources". Which means fixing a lot of the things that have been made wrong with health insurance (the fact that even with insurance you can wind up so deep in the debt hole that even with a bankruptcy filing it'll be at least 10-15 years before you can even think of trying to own a home again, as just an example), and getting companies to pay a living wage, and perhaps even limiting the size of companies to prevent one from ever getting "too big to fail".

Yes, I recognize that this is politically difficult territory even at the best of times.

On the other hand, I also recognize the rock and a hard place; I am definitely in one of the demographics that the Republicans want to explicitly go away, and voting anything third party in our current system just isn't workable when I just want to exist without cramming myself into the damned soul crushing box every day again like I was this time last year.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun - by LynnInDenver - 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM