Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
(10-17-2019, 07:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: And here's what a WEBM looks like in a frame on the main work page.

The page needed an image; why not give it the complete set? Smile

Hey, it's what I've been doing for years with short films on YouTube, like The Wizard of Speed and Time and the Dawn of Flight Failures Montage.  So you have plenty of precedent.

Lulz, gotta say that putting films on the Source subpage -- especially short films -- rubs me the wrong way.  It seems to me almost like hiding them away from easy access.  Plus, source to me means "text". 

EDIT:  Plus hiding videos away on their own page kind of also hides one of the things we can do that TVT can't.  Why not embed video right on the main pages?  So, sorry, Lulz, can't say I like the change to Bettleship Potemkin at all.  It's like trying to pretend we're TVT.
We are a multimedia wiki, therefore source does not have to mean text. Especially since the definition of source can be "a firsthand document or primary reference work", a primary reference work can easily be video footage aka a film.

The easy access argument could easily be used against any other subpage, and therefore not something I can really follow, also it's one click. When I first encountered TVT, I would often be scrolling through the entirety of a page, which others also did out of curiosity. If we really want to make it easier, we can just force per style guide that we link in the main body text to the source subpage.

I don't really have problems with videos on the main page, but putting videos on the source subpage is perfectly acceptable, and something that should remain.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - by LulzKiller - 10-17-2019, 11:05 AM