Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
RE: Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
I guess I should have quoted specifically:
Sen. Alexander Wrote:I worked with other senators to make sure that we have the right to ask for more documents and witnesses, but there is no need for more evidence to prove something that has already been proven and that does not meet the United States Constitution’s high bar for an impeachable offense.
But the Constitution does not give the Senate the power to remove the president from office and ban him from this year’s ballot simply for actions that are inappropriate.
He goes on with elaboration of the first point, and then points out that there's an election in a few months where the people get to decide such things.

But I can't shake the feeling that the country now has such political structural problems that we need a third republic.  A majority of the U.S. Senate represents 18% of the population; many states are rotten boroughs.  If this case is not impeachable, then nothing is, and presidents no longer face consequences.  It's fairly easy to start a dictatorship under such conditions, when generations of legislators have been so eager to yield power to the executive.  In Presidential elections, we have one man, one vote, but a man's vote in Wyoming is worth nearly fifty times what mine is worth.

I know the solution to protecting democracy is often stated as "just buy guns", but it doesn't feel like that will actually solve the problem.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached - by Labster - 01-31-2020, 04:21 PM