Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
Well.  This is interesting.

So, I started with multiple browsers this morning, and after a while I noticed that Chrome, my default on my work machine, wasn't locking me out.  So I closed everything and did a little wiki stuff here and there between other tasks all morning.  No problems.

Until about 1:30-1:45 PM EDT.  Then it abruptly decided I wanted to log out.  And stay logged out.

So... I opened up the wiki again in Firefox, Edge, Opera and Brave, logged in and went to Recent Changes.  Within a seconds, sometimes in the course of changing to the new page, I was logged out on Firefox and Edge (and Chrome again).  When I could log in long for enough to actually see Recent Changes with my user menu across the top of the page, it would spontaneously reload and I would be suddenly logged out.  I should note -- because I haven't up to now -- that I don't have "Live Updates" turned on.  I get annoyed by Recent Changes updating itself and scrolling while I'm trying to work through it so I always have the live updates turned off.  Recent Changes should not, under any circumstances, reload itself for me.

As an added extra bonus, it looks like Edge somehow managed to toggle the "Group changes by page" option for Recent Changes in my Preferences.  I had to go in and change it back.

Opera didn't log me out.  Interestingly, I had JavaScript turned off for Opera.  As an experiment I turned it back on, reloaded Recent Changes, and waited.  Took less than 10 seconds for the Recent Changes page to spontaneously reload with me logged out.  I've since re-disabled JavaScript and logged back in, and it has yet to kick me out.

Brave didn't log me out either.  Unlike Opera, it's not set to block scripts, but it appears something in its default security arrangements is blocking whatever is logging me out.

For reference, here are some of the error messages I've been seeing immediately after logging in.  There was one other that I got, but I couldn't get a screen clip fast enough.  Unlike these, it was a pop-up that appeared right under the "login" prompt in the upper right corner of the page.

.png   loginfailure3.PNG (Size: 6.54 KB / Downloads: 82)

.png   loginfailure2.PNG (Size: 13.39 KB / Downloads: 82)

.png   loginfailure1.PNG (Size: 10.46 KB / Downloads: 82)

So... the only conclusion I can currently draw is that there's something in the JavaScript for the various pages that's doing this to me, something that Brave considers advertising or advertising-adjacent and blocks by default. Time to open up the developers' tools and see what's actually in there.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII - by Bob Schroeck - 09-15-2021, 01:49 PM