Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
CRY-MAH-NEE folks.

Okay.  Gonna weigh in as well here.

I know I'm not much of an active troper, or anywhere near being part of the administrative staff.  I just happened to be around when the original TVT meltdown happened under Fast Eddie's auspices. (Edit: I also have the dubious honor of holding User ID Number 2 on these forums. Which means I was the first guy in line to register my account after the Crap-a-Talk Exodus)

HOWEVER.

I'm ADHD+ASD myself, so I've noticed a few things here.  And also, ya'll try riding herd on a bunch of younger siblings that have HAPY-FUN-TIME mental disorders like Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

So, forgive me for sounding full of myself here, but I think this makes me uniquely qualified to weigh in on this ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FANTASTIC CRINGE FEST.

(And yes, you guys - BOTH OF YOU - have been making me cringe something fierce here.  Not cool.)

First and foremost: siding with Labster here.  Both of you should probably take one or two weeks off from working on ATT, and do something that's more fun for you.  I don't really see it as a punitive measure, but rather a bit of vacation time complete with prescription chill pills.

Secondly...

Rob, you're gonna have to cut Geth at least a bit of slack.  He's wired similar to me, but apparently even more severely afflicted.  What this means is that the ADHD part of his brain will make his eyes slide completely off of even official communiques and hyperfocus on things that capture his interest more.  And the ASD part makes this even worse in that he's not the best at communicating at times.

Geth, as I've said, I know you have your handicaps because I have them as well.  Which is probably why we've debated so effectively in the past - we both got a general idea of how the other is ticking.  (That is, the process and not the ideology.)

That said...  We're gonna have to come up with a more effective means of communicating intents here.

This is why I pushed so hard for solutions that have the capability for real-time collaboration in the TNB project.  For ADHD+ASD people like myself and Geth, the phrase "No time like the present" applies with spades and a vengeance.  Even if you don't catch each other quite at the same time, these things work wonderfully - like a game of chess being played out over the course of several days between room mates whose schedules don't quite line up.

The Unofficial ATT Discord NEEDS TO BE OFFICIAL.  Discord is absolutely rife with features than can make staff communications far more effective, and is capable of hosting bots that have ridiculous capabilities.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO BESIDES AN IRRATIONAL IDEA THAT DISCORD HAS A BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU THING GOING ON.  DISCORD DOES NOT USE YOUR EMAIL/PHONE NUMBER FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN LOG-IN CREDENTIALS, TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION, AND PASSWORD RECOVERY.  THE ONLY WAY TO REVEAL YOUR EMAIL/PHONE NUMBER TO OTHERS IS IF YOU DO SO YOURSELF.

THE ADMINS AND DEVELOPERS AT DISCORD TAKE YOUR PRIVACY VERY FUCKING SERIOUSLY AND ANYTHING YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT LEAKS OR OTHER SECURITY ISSUES HAVE EITHER BEEN PATCHED OR ARE RUMORS STARTED BY ALARMIST IDIOTS AND TROLLS.

*ahem*

Now that I got that out of my system...

I got a proposal here on how the ATT Wiki ought to be managed.  It is simple.  It is concise.  And it will curb any further acrimony on matters of page deletions.  Because even if a page no longer jives with policy?  Deleting a page on ANY WIKI is pretty serious business.

Simply put?

Only Bob can delete pages.

And even then, only after there has been a quorum on whether or not a page should be deleted.

Two-Thirds Quorum of Admins and Bureaucrats for automatic approval of deletion.

One-Half Quorum of Admins and Bureaucrats will require further discussion on the matter before deletion can take place - if for no other reason than to make sure that everyone is on the same page and aware of why the deletion has been requested.  And at this point, it will also require that ALL STAFF MEMBERS weigh in on the matter.

Deleting a page is technically easy to do, and I'm sure that Bob won't really mind being the only person that can do it, provided that he's not the person being saddled with the sole responsibility for making that call.  And in cases where there is more than a few pages to be pruned?  I'm pretty sure we can set up a bot automate that process.  All Bob will have to do is tell it which ones, and smash the GO button.

Thoughts?  Concerns?  Bric-a-brak?

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII - by Black Aeronaut - 09-26-2021, 05:05 AM