Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
(09-25-2021, 10:02 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 07:55 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 07:26 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 05:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Let me know for how long.

Bump.

Let me lay it out for you. People just want you to quit lashing out. We have no idea if something is going on we don't know about in your personal life that is making you cranky, and if so, we sympathize and hope it passes. That said, you've been lashing out with a lot of disproportionate anger over things that do not deserve half the vehemence you have displayed, and you've come off like, to be frank, a bit of a jackass.

All The Tropes is a collaborative project where respectful dissent and good faith actions are not causes to demand people be stripped of certain rights. It is a wiki, meaning mistakes can be fixed and are not permanent, and it is no one person's personal fiefdom, it belongs to the community to edit, we in authority simply are supposed to keep the wiki running smoothly. Further, as admins, we should be mature. Being vicious does not help our goals, causes more people to get upset, and solves nothing.

If we have disagreements or issues come up, we can resolve things without bitterness, or at least I hope we can. All we, and I speak on behalf of myself, Lulzkiller, and anyone else you have been unkind to, ask is you either try to be more civil than you have been or at least take some time off to deal with whatever has soured your mood lately, you have been really vicious of late and not only does it just make people angry. I personally would like to think you can be better than that. You're a good person, Rob, and your recent outbursts of wrath are troubling.

I hope that is not an unreasonable thing to ask.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

(09-25-2021, 11:06 AM)GethN7 Wrote: I'm going to go on record saying I believe you need to step away until you can be more civil.

I've been a civil servant for enough decades to know what that means. I thought I was being gracious and saving face all around - all I wanted to know was whether this was temp- or perma-.

But now it looks like you don't want to ban me after all.

As for this post, if you want me to stop lashing out, stop giving me reasons to lash out.

You mentioned me getting upset with you about the template issues. You didn't mention that I brought the issues to your attention weeks earlier, and from what I could see on the wiki you never did anything about them. And now you've mentioned you knew how to fix the issue - but you never did. The only way I know to fix the damage was to do a rollback, and I said so before doing the rollback - and now you appear to be upset that I did what nobody told me wasn't necessary.

I've also been asking repeatedly for feedback on the infoboxes that you folks wanted created. I get nothing in response to my questions, except from Labster.

I've also been asking repeatedly for help with the image licenses project. I get nothing in response to my statements.

And  now, LulzKiller mentions going to you in an off-wiki channel that we say is not connected to ATT (unlike the tenuous connection that we mention exists between this forum and the wiki) to have at least one conversation with you - which is one of the things that I remember everybody complaining about how the then-current admins at TV Tropes operated when the wiki was forked. Maybe I'm misremembering.

But if I am remembering correctly, why shouldn't I get upset?

You're asking for good faith - but I'm not seeing a lot of it in return.

So ... how long before I get what you're asking me to give?

There's been a whole discussion while I slept so I just want to respond to some things. I want to reiterate I never wanted anyone to leave, and that Geth's semi-ultimatum seemed to be in response to Rob's request that I lose my admin status for seeking consensus on whether to delete a page. I appreciate Labster's and Black Aeronaut's feedback on this. I want to respond to this post by Rob:

1) I've never made an infobox, and if there was something you specifically wanted, I'm sorry that I don't have good design skills, I appreciate that Labster gave you feedback, I thought I had already praised you for your infobox work on stuff like the Oscar Best Picture and a literature award, if I haven't; I appreciate it and I want you to continue doing good work on infoboxes.

2) I have been manually doing image licences for a decent bunch of TVT fork images that were unlicensed, is there something you wanted me to do differently or more?

3) I contacted Geth because it was around 11pm UK time, and I wanted to quickly confirm my then knowledge of what we do with FF examples, he confirmed that with me and I moved to do some edits of that nature. Out of my relations with staff, I am "closest" (whatever that means) with Geth, I can quickly DM him on Discord about various matters including but not exclusively ATT. Me joining ATT was me just repaying the favour to Geth for help in other internet projects I used to be involved him, and here I am 5 years later. Maybe Rob thought me quickly pinging Geth sometimes to confirm current knowledge of ATT Policy was underhanded (if so, it was not the intention of anyone). But I can confirm with the AWB instance of bot jobs for disambiguating links, I asked Geth, and he told me to gather consensus first because of the nature of it. Geth from my point of view, tried in good faith to help me be efficient with my wiki work.

4) The discord server you mention is linked by ATT as an unofficial fan discord, which is at least a tenuous connection. BA's idea of an official Discord might be a good idea, if wanted.

Per Geth statement of me walking away or something, I'm just starting a new uni year tomorrow, so I'll just be less active. I want to continue contributing if possible, and hopefully Rob continues to contribute, once this whole situation calms down. I don't want Rob gone, and I don't want Rob to want me gone.

I hope everyone (including Rob) reads https://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_Tr...Wiki_Staff because I think at some point this got lost here. I never tried to disrespect or insult anyone in this conversation. This situation has gotten out of hand.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII - by LulzKiller - 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM