Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
(12-29-2021, 10:24 PM)robkelk Wrote: I don't know what you're looking at, but that isn't what I see on my computer. I've taken a screen shot and highlighted in yellow two strings that should match. They do not match. Thus, something is broken.

Although your reply reminds me of other issues:
  • There is no way to preview edits before committing them in Flow.
  • Other extensions do not work with Flow, including any extension that sends an automated "Welcome to the wiki" message to a new user. Thus, we have had no choice but to have a sitenotice at the top of every page for an entire year so that people are aware that their contributions in most of the wiki are subject to Moderation.
  • Speaking of Moderation, does it work with Flow? Or are we letting talk pages go unmoderated as a back-door for spammers?

EDIT: If the reason for Flow is to allow automated threaded discussion (which I for one do not see a need for), might I suggest looking into replacing it with CommentStreams? That extension appears to "play well" with Social Profile.

Well, what I said is still operative because Flow ignores your userpage because the Topic namespace is transcluded OVER the regular namespace (Flow uses a different namespace and effectively ignores your stock talk page on a technical level), so it will report back via magic word the Topic page title, not your userpage title. (hence why I ignored the User talk:Robkelk part, I knew Flow ignored that on a technical level after reading the documentation, my apologies for not being clearer relaying that)

This stated, you have made a compelling argument for depreciation of Flow for the talk pages of users and articles (they can be archived if we do this and just retain it for the reviews or any other namespace we deem fit to preserve discussion history), and Comment Streams does look like a good idea given our concerns.

I have no objection to switching over to it myself, but I suggest we put this to a public vote and we'll go from there. For the record, I will vote in favor, but I'd still rather let the community know the pros and cons of this before we make this change, which will require some work to archive Flow pages and make sure no issues occur during transition.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII - by GethN7 - 12-30-2021, 12:10 AM