Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
(04-21-2022, 11:30 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: "Can't we just do the sensible thing?"

"We could, but that'd be boring."

That makes me think Evil Is Stylish might be the trope, perhaps?

Hmmmm....  Nah, because that line isn't just limited to the villains.  Heroes, anti-heroes, and even anti-villains are all guilty of that one. Hell, this is the entire freakin' premise behind Phineas and Ferb, and those two are about as villainous as some kids going, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..."

Evil is Stylish is more like Megamind going "PRESENTATION!" when asked what the difference between him and the other guy is. EDIT: Or David Xanatos in Gargoyles for never, ever having a hair out of place while smiling and going Just As Planned.

EDIT2: If we need a name for the trope, I say let's call it "Sensible Senselessness", because it's usually something unusual, overwrought, or even just plain wacky... but why would you do it any other way? "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV - by Black Aeronaut - 04-21-2022, 02:06 PM