Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
(06-11-2023, 06:09 PM)Labster Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 06:30 PM)robkelk Wrote: Is the director who made the motion to dissolve the company still with Miraheze, migrated to WikiTide, or gone from both groups? The answer to that affects my answer to your question.
He made the motion, and then the meeting immediately adjourned.  He then resigned and started WikiTide, bought the domain name, and put up the servers.

Not just migrated to WikiTide, but founded WikiTide once he realized he wasn't going to have everything his own way at Miraheze. I'm reminded of Doc Corless here.

(Aside: How is DC's fork of the wiki doing, by the way? Does anybody know? For obvious reasons, I don't annoy him with my presence there.)

(06-11-2023, 06:09 PM)Labster Wrote: Honestly as I read these meeting minutes I'm unimpressed by all of the behavior here.  And the fact that the board has three members, now two members, out of a theoretical nine, with no representatives for users or staff.  And the fact that they didn't have a meeting for five months, and only met then to let everything explode.

One person is President/Secretary/Treasurer (and was before all of this)?  That's not even legal in the U.S., though I assume as an attorney he's not doing it wrong for the U.K.

Plenty of amateurs doing what they can but forgetting to present their best faces, yeah.

And a Director holding more than one Officer position is also of questionable legality in Canada. But the UK isn't Canada. It's definitely a perceived conflict of interest even if it is legal: who countersigns the cheques to make sure they're going where they're supposed to? The financials are currently only as good as that one director's word (which, them being a lawyer, is presumed to be good, I'll grant).

As for meetings, depending on how the articles of incorporation are phrased, they might not have quorum for anything other than a by-election to fill those empty seats with people to finish the original directors' terms. I'd have to read the incorporation document... which in a quick search doesn't appear to be available. And I'd have to read the articles of incorporation to know how often they are legally required to meet -- it's possible that it could be as rarely as once annually. That doesn't preclude more frequent meetings, of course (and I prefer quarterly or monthly for a business that size).

(06-11-2023, 06:09 PM)Labster Wrote:
(06-10-2023, 06:30 PM)robkelk Wrote: As for community splits, I go through something similar after every general election. Meet the new boss, now get back to work doing what I've been doing for a couple of decades. Not exactly the same as this case, I know, but from an end-user point of view it may as well be.

In this case, all I care about is who's best-able to provide the service that I expect from a wiki farm... and if they're equally able, then why migrate?

EDIT: And I see Miraheze's CVT ("Trust & Safety") is down to one person. Promotion to Steward is a no-go there until the CVT gets its numbers back up. I can't find any web presence for WikiTide yet.

At this point I think most/all appointments would come directly from the board, as it's basically emergency time.

Yeah. I don't know whether I want to put my name forward, though -- things are ramping up at work right now.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII - by robkelk - 06-11-2023, 07:50 PM