Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politics of the Moon Kingdom
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom
Before we abandon geology...

Quote:Plus, we learn about the ruins of the Dark Kingdom and Silver Millennium both, and if there are actually ruins to be had, it can't be in the multimillion years. The Moon is not really a static place — all those craters you see happened over time. See the Silurian hypothesis, which talks about how hard it would be to detect anything at all from a civilization this old. (I mean, maybe the Earth Kingdom was originally lizard people? Seems kinda unlikely based on what we saw on-screen.)

The fan author I cited (something St. Seika something? I still can't remember and I forgot to look in my bookmarks last night) actually had an in-universe discussion of this, with some mention of the earth-based civilization (who were immigrants of some kind) being required to basically put all its construction and trash and whatnot in subduction zones so they'd get wiped out and leave no anomalous artifacts to cause problems for the next sapient species to evolve on Earth.

Quote:Although, as I get into nationalism, maybe it is on-topic? Every nation has to have a national myth.

Heh. In Desperately Seeking Ranma, the Silver Millennium is the myth. <grin>

Later incarnations of Sailor Moon have started portraying the moon folk as humanoid alien refugees who settled the moon because the Earth was already inhabited, unlike the earliest versions, where they are humans who somehow "magically" happened to develop and found a civilization on a dead world with no biosphere. Since we're taking Serenity I's claim to be a goddess literally (and we're explicitly using original anime continuity), then the foundation of the myth would probably be something along the lines of a "chosen people". Humans obviously couldn't evolve on the moon, so Serenity or a predecessor (serial reincarnation?) must have taken a population from Earth to the moon to be her people there. There would certainly be no small amount of arrogance built in, which as the Moon Kingdom grew in power would probably cause problems with diplomacy. "She chose us, and we grew to fill the system, while you're still stuck on your one planet." (And if the Kingdom's rise from "small colony" to "interplanetary power" happened fast enough, there would certainly be resentment on the part of the Earthbound nation or nations, which ties in nicely to the SM backstory.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 06-21-2023, 07:36 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 09-10-2023, 10:34 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by robkelk - 09-11-2023, 07:40 AM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 09-12-2023, 07:15 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Dartz - 09-11-2023, 12:51 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 09-14-2023, 12:44 AM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Bob Schroeck - 09-14-2023, 07:34 AM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 09-14-2023, 03:17 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by robkelk - 09-14-2023, 06:40 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Norgarth - 09-14-2023, 07:52 PM
RE: Politics of the Moon Kingdom - by Labster - 10-05-2023, 03:43 PM