Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55
RE: Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55
While we weren't looking, Beware of Cloud (A Beware of Chicken AU Timeline) updated to Chapter Fifty-One: New Love and Ancient Beauty.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...-104236618

And, after two skip weeks in a row, A Thing of Vikings (HTTYD/the 11th century) is updating two weeks in a row, with Chapter 162: Iterations.

Nationbuilding: How People Move, Talk, Think, Organize, & Structure Themselves, 1888, Amsterdam University Press,' Wrote:In broad terms, taxation is a required levy or other such contribution, in the form of goods, services, or currency, imposed by a government on those bound to pay the tax (which are often, but not always, citizens of that government). Taxation can range across a continuum from full-bore rent-seeking on one end, to merely extractive, to a tool for regulating and shaping behavior, to the far end with subsidies as a form of negative taxation. In general, the further towards rent-seeking the taxation is, the more resentful and resistant the taxpaying population will be, although there will always be outliers in both directions—even in the most subsidizing taxation environment, there will be those who claim noncompliance on the grounds that “taxation is theft” and other such beliefs, and even in the most most rent-seeking environment, there will be those who unquestioningly pay what is required. Those exceptions aside, in most populations of taxpayers, general attitudes track well with the size and quality of their perceived personal benefit from the taxes they pay. In pure rent-seeking, where the tax-payers gain minimal to no benefit from what they pay (common in feudal, dictatorial, kleptocratic, and extractivist polities), taxpayers, especially at the local level, see all of the prosperity of their home vanish into the pockets of the wealthy for their own personal enrichment, and thus question the benefits of taxation. Conversely, in environments where taxes directly fund social services and public goods, individual taxpayers can directly witness these benefits.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/104089.../148872229

Messages In This Thread
Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55 - by Norgarth - 08-16-2024, 06:38 PM
RE: Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55 - by aku - 08-21-2024, 02:55 PM
RE: Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55 - by Mamorien - 08-25-2024, 05:25 PM
RE: Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55 - by aku - 09-16-2024, 06:49 AM
RE: Fic Update Thread: I can't drive 55 - by NifT - 09-16-2024, 11:34 AM