Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016-09-24: Dragged along by a strange new force
RE: 2016-09-24: Dragged along by a strange new force
If you look at the canon, Caster was summoned second, at least a couple of weeks before Saber was summoned.  Oh, and Medea isn't Greek, she was from Colchis and emigrated to Greece, which means we'd say her modern nationality is Georgian.

As one of the writers of this, I have to say I have difficulty connecting to the Fate series as well.  This cast got added to our series by a drive-by contribution years ago.  In preparation, I've watched two series and a series of movies of Fate/stay night and I don't recommend that anyone else do the same.  They assemble a cast of cool historical characters, then do fight scenes instead of characterization.  (The movies are entirely avoidable, as they offer virtually no characterization not in the other series, although the Movie 2 scene where Sakura loses her marbles in Magical Gumdrop Land is pretty amazing.)  Our Fate stories have been pretty popular on AO3, but if you aren't already into it, I'd recommend investing the time other books/movies about Arthur, Perseus, and Jason/Medea.

But the core concept of Fate/stay night is solid, and deconstructing it peels off some interesting layers. Female kings are a real thing that happened in history, but what becomes the king of a long fallen kingdom?  Medea and Medusa are both interesting in a feminist lens.  It's an interesting question to ask what they would do in a modern world with our freedoms and radically different culture -- ground the original anime and VN really aren't interested in covering.  (There are no interesting questions to ask about Ilya and Berserker, who mysteriously haven't made it into our universe Wink

No one wants to do Fate/grand order though.  Seriously, fem!Leonardo da Vinci, how the hell am I supposed to work with that?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2016-09-24: Dragged along by a strange new force - by Labster - 10-20-2024, 04:44 AM