Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever
Re: [Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever
Getting to some replies....
Quote:
Did you have a burly black man to kick down a well when you made that statement, sir?
Nah, that'd be silly. Not to mention contaminating the water supply - no wonder the Macedonians kicked their asses! Besides, the statement should be drawled in a comic-opera Russian accent, not shouted in an angry Scots accent.
Quote:
I figure, 4 gens in, Hephaestus is going to have developed the capability to _move_ Great Heaping Things, just to keep in a position to provide engineering, technical, and supply help to those crazy Rockhounds - so while we may not be able to latch onto Mars itself, the Moon (and moons) will be easy enough.. we'll just have to mobilize every heavy-lift reactionless and reaction motor we can, and build about an extra 50% additional..
Mimas at least is no problem. After all, it's supposed to be a fully armed and operational mobile battlestation. [Image: wink.gif]
Mars and Venus are the tricky ones; not only are they the largest object that need evacuating, they also have ecosystems on them. Can't just fling them off into space for a month or more with no light, that'd kill the terraforming. So a sneakier approach is called for...
Quote:
Well, it's certainly ambitious. And the writing style is clean and the personality of the narrator comes through. In order to fully assess the writing, I have to know just how large a piece this is. For a short story, the prologue section is about right. For a longer piece, it needs more expansion.

*shrug* I'm making this shit up as I go along, man. Just at a guess, I'd say it's maybe... half done, or not quite half done. Beginnings and endings are my thing, middles not so much.
Ah well, we'll see.
Quote:
at any rate, it's interesting how this nanotech AI system immediately started going the accelarando route.
It felt like a logical progression - a singularity is restrained in growth only by the amount of matter it can turn into computronium, and the amount of energy to feed that computronium. So it needs to maximize energy input, and a matrioshka brain will do that.
As for the Accelerando route, there's a twist of sorts coming.
Quote:
Not sure if the earth becoming nanotech cloud is exactly sympatico with the Rules. As in, in the Rules Section.
It's... well. It doesn't quite line up with the genre directive - I mean, Earth getting et by a runaway godbrain isn't exactly an example of a big happy. It doesn't automatically contradict the handwavium rules. Hell, the singularity might've been purely hardtech in nature.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever - by Feinan - 03-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Re: Re: [Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever - by Kokuten - 03-23-2007, 07:08 AM
huh - by Murmur the Fallen - 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Re: [Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever - by M Fnord - 03-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Re: [Story] [nextgen/alt] Archimedes' Lever - by Vangeek - 03-24-2007, 07:15 PM