Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC]Never Take Kemwer's (With an E) Name in Vain

Mal beat me to it, so I'll just kibitz a bit...

Quote:*BZZT!* Star Trek replicator technology is NOT KOSHER under the current rules of engagement.
If it was, Noah'd have one by now, by handwaving a nanoassembler tank. Instead, he can't even get a nanoassembler tank to work, even with handwavium.

(Before anybody asks "Where could anyone in Fenspace, Noah included, get specs for a nanoassembler tank?" Doug Sangnoir visited Stellvia in 2008.)

Quote:"Illusion?" Once again, handwavium does not equal magic.
In this case, it's also unnecessary for the story. Modern full-motion solid-state videocameras with half-hour capacity are as small as walkmans were two decades ago, and that's in Our TimeLine. In Fenspace, a full-motion videocamera with a day's worth of capacity can fit into an eyesocket, as shown in the prologue to Legend of Galactic Girls.

Quote:Factually incorrect. By 6,000 BC human civilization was already beginning to take recognizable shape in Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley, Egypt and China.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... 07/Jericho]Assuming the Encyclopedia Britannica is a trustworthy source, humans were living in Jericho 11,000 years ago.

Quote:I'm going to speak the Word of Mod: Until modified by Consensus, belief does not radically alter a handwavium-altered person's mind, memories or abilities.
Beyond the granting of trivial abilities such as The Professor's ultrasuperhuman endurance, Leda Swansen's "electric eel" hands, or Wire Geek's enhanced senses (other than sight). And for a month after I introduced the character, I was worried that Leda's ability was too powerful for Fenspace.

So... yeah, unless this is a filler episode for an appropriate Fenspace TV shows (maybe Catgirl Bebop or Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon FS), the fun-with-handwavium needs to be toned down. Significantly. (If it is a TV show episode, it should be marked as such...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-31-2008, 02:13 AM
[No subject] - by Feinan - 08-31-2008, 07:16 AM