Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC]Never Take Kemwer's (With an E) Name in Vain

Quote:Beyond the granting of trivial abilities such as The Professor's ultrasuperhuman endurance, Leda Swansen's "electric eel" hands, or Wire Geek's enhanced senses (other than sight). And for a month after I introduced the character, I was worried that Leda's ability was too powerful for Fenspace.

That's not what the Word meant, actually. I meant that whatever handwavium's connection to belief is, it doesn't affect something that's already sapient.

I'll use Leda as an example here. She started out life looking like an Anglo Sailor Jupiter, and when she biomodded her appearance affected the biomod. So she comes out looking in most part like she did before, only now she has electric eel batteries in her forearms that discharge through her hands. Okay, great. In LGG she gets training from an actual Sailor Jupiter on how to control her powers without resorting to insulated gloves. Even better.

However, just because she *looks* like Sailor Jupiter and has slightly similar electrical powers does not mean she *is* Sailor Jupiter. And furthermore, no matter how hard all the Senshi in Fenspace hope and wish and pray, their hopes and wishes and prayers will not catapult Leda into being able to pull off Sailor Jupiter's super attacks. Because the wave doesn't work like that. It's susceptible to mental images and has rules that it must follow like regular matter has to follow the established laws of physics. It's not a product of the collective unconscious that can turn people into gods.

(Incidentally, did I ever mention that one of Leda's parents must be a classics major with a horrible sense of humor? Or is that too self-evident? Wink)

Along those lines, just because the Senshi aggravate A.C. by calling her "Lady Mars," this doesn't mean she'll spontaneously develop clarvoyance and/or fire powers.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-31-2008, 02:13 AM
[No subject] - by Feinan - 08-31-2008, 07:16 AM
[No subject] - by M Fnord - 08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
[No subject] - by kentmagus - 08-31-2008, 12:04 PM