Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your life depends on a very thin wire.
crossbows illegal? The Canadians are still in the middle ages?
I thought it was only American politicians who never seemed to study history, talk about spitting into the wind,. the tools and parts needed for making a crossbow are trivial to the point that most peasants of the middle ages could produce crossbows that had most every King, Pope and robber baron wringing their hands in worry and declaring it's use caused everything from sterility to the crossbow user becoming a soulless monster.
Joking aside since they have outlawed the crossbow pistol in Canada I'd suggest buying a couple of sling shots. The only reason I didn't suggest a slingshot the first time is because the rubber bands or tubes commonly used have a relatively short shelf life. My dad back in the 1950's uses to cut up old inner tubes and make his own sling shots, since then they have changed the "rubber" used in tire tubes and it's a lot harder to get the right kind of material for a good "bean flip". In the 1970's I had a store bought "Wrist Rocket" with the tube rubber bands, which for me lasted at most a year or so before becoming so brittle I'd have to buy replacements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot
Advice: I quickly come to prefer the Slingshots with the fold down wrist support, carefully selected rocks make for nearly limitless practice ammo and work surprisingly well, never forget how close the projectile is to your hand.(I'll also STRONGLY suggest that you NEVER EVERY try to shoot number 2 pencil from a Wrist Rocket.).
Now for what made me think to check this thread again.
The other day I was going through a local dollar store and come across some black plastic solar powered LED "garden walk stake lights". Initially I paid the dollar each for several just to get the little solar panel on top. I disassemble a couple and was impressed by what I found.
The triple A nicad I found in mine is cheap cheap cheap, but the rest of the circuit components and solar panel are well worth the dollar and with just a few modifications it's components can have many uses.
By the way even if  you don't want it for parts or walkway lighting  I'd recommend buying a half dozen(especially when their a dollar) and sticking them in a sunny location or a especially sunny window, just for the emergency lighting and battery charging capability they would provide in a power failure.
After playing with a couple of these for a while I did a internet search to see what other hackers were doing with the little things and  unexpectedly come across this article about the dangers in the power grid from December of 2015.(I think it does a better job than my initial post.)
http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/iran-is ... st-attack/
By the way I didn't have the idea of using these "solar walkway lights" for emergency lighting and battery recharge the above article mentions them as part of the emergency supplies to have on hand.
hmelton

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Rod.H - 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 02-12-2016, 03:05 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 02-13-2016, 10:04 AM
[No subject] - by hmelton - 02-14-2016, 09:11 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-14-2016, 05:52 PM
A little longer term - by hmelton - 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 02-17-2016, 03:52 PM
crossbows illegal? The Canadians are still in the middle ages? - by hmelton - 03-09-2016, 12:14 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM