Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The continuing interludes of Alexis Morgan(updated 3/31/10)
Alexis' Journal (10/5/06)
There are a lot of different kinds of heroes in this city, and they have a lot of different ways of improving their powers.
Most of them, I just don't get.
Okay, so learning improved techniques makes enough sense. Upgrading your equipment is certainly familiar enough. But the rest...
The mutant types seem to improve themselves by taking in higher quality genetic material. Which my experience in genetic tampering tells me should accomplish *absolutely nothing*.
Then there's those people I see going into that one set of labs over there. You know, the ones that glow interesting colors in the dark? I'm not sure what they do in there, but I try to keep a few blocks between me and that place.
Then you've got the magic users, and I go from uncertain to bewildered.
I once saw a guy leaving a shop with a few dozen gauntlets, a pile of visors, enough amulets to drown several small enemies, and who knows how many earrings, rings, and other small trinkets. What is he going to do with all of them? Maybe AD&D was unusually restrictive on the number of items one could wear, but this is ridiculous.
Admittedly, I was leaving with a full bag of my own at the time. But I'm sure not planning on wearing any of this junk. I just take it home, put my wand into maintainence mode, and wire it all up to collecters inside. All the power I need, and I get to stay looking like me instead of like some kind of jewelry golem.
(Not to mention that I'm pretty sure some of this stuff is malevolently enchanted. But to the energy converter, a curse is just another source of power...)
Mirami? She puts her stuff in a big pile under my bed. It seems to serve about the same purpose for her.
Sometimes I wonder where all this stuff comes from. Serious magical items are pretty rare back home. Probably because they aren't usually worth the effort. They either burn out after one use, like DBI crystals, or they only work for the maker. Easier to just do it yourself most of the time. If I had a datajack there wouldn't even be any advantage for me in using enchanted computer parts...
But here? Shopping bags.
Not that this stuff is incredible quality workmanship or anything. Doesn't take more than a few weeks before most of it'll run out of power. And it seems to be like that even for people who use the stuff normally. But it's no problem, because there's plenty of replacement stock available. What happened to enchantment being hard work?
It looks like we should have everyone keep an eye out for any active enchanters. However they manage to produce so much stuff, if the technique could be applied to DBI crystal production it would be a significant asset. And after all, a dark blade imprint only really needs to work once...

Messages In This Thread
Re: A short Alexis interlude - by Acyl - 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
engineered magical girl - by Foxboy - 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Re: engineered magical girl - by Acyl - 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Re: engineered magical girl - by Valles - 08-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Re: A short Alexis interlude - by Morganite - 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Alexis' Journal (8/23/06) - by Morganite - 08-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Alexis' Journal (10/5/06) - by Morganite - 10-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Re: Alexis' Journal (10/5/06) - by Bob Schroeck - 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Re: Alexis' Journal (10/5/06) - by Bob Schroeck - 10-06-2006, 06:56 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
[No subject] - by Morganite - 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM