Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utility (communication): Shpadoinkle Day
Utility (communication): Shpadoinkle Day

Effect: Though it's only barely over a minute long, for the duration of the effect Doug can speak or understand all languages, or convey entire paragraphs of meaning in a single nonsense word, as can anyone else in his area of effect. The short duration limits its utility as a translation effect, but it's easily long enough for "Don't shoot, I come in peace!" or "Lay down your weapons and surrender, or I'll have to get rough," and REALLY REALLY GOOD for quickly briefing or debriefing - especially welcome for after-action reports, when everyone involved just wants to get a shower, a drink, and some rest, not neccesarily in that order, not talk stuff over "before the details fade." A recording or listening to the conversation from outside the AoE (even with a device entirely inside it) is just the sounds, but if a recording device within range is sufficiently advanced to use speech recognition to produce a text transcript the translation effect DOES apply, to produce the transcript in the language it's programmed to recognize, again vastly simplifying making mission reports.

Given that a "less time spent on paperwork" spell is the holy grail of utility magic, I expect Doug would count this one of his best power songs once he discovers it.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Messages In This Thread
Utility (communication): Shpadoinkle Day - by ClassicDrogn - 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM