Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doug's FUZION character sheet
Getting close to wrapping up, I think.
Going through both of the previous posts here -
Quote:
Hmm. You have the Stun and Hits reversed; it should be 65/45. Beyond that... I think we have to agree to disagree on the Ref/Dex issue.
Oops! I how did that happen I wonder?
Yeah, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. But it's become clear that you and your group are playing pretty high powered characters in a long running established campaign with a lot of experience points. I think I'll concede the point that the Warrior's are at oh Justice League level? Sounds about right to me. I shudder to think what's going to happen to the poor Knight Sabers with that level of power directed at them ^^;;
Fuzion's "Rule of X" (BGC page 28, if you're curious) is a lot like the campaign limits that I've always played under. Once you reach those limits, your character tends to broaden their skill base rather than get overtly more powerful. If you are in a campaign that goes on long enough, the GM may raise those limits for everyone. But I've rarely been in a campaign that lasted that long. I guess that's what makes me nervous about viewing Doug's character sheet. (Game Master senses tingling! DANGER! ^_^)
Let me assure you that this in no way dilutes my enjoyment of the story. This is just me indulging in my "pedant mode" on the gaming side of things. With that in mind, I'll just offer this character sheet as an alternate, slightly "lower-end" Douglas Sangnoir, and we'll just leave it at that, 'kay? ^_^
Quote:
You don't have to tell us. "Lame" seems to be the operative word for all the sample characters -- they almost seem deliberately built as weak as possible. Any single Warrior -- including Dwimanor, arguably the physically weakest of us -- could take on the entire gang of sample characters in the basic book and not break a sweat.
Indeed. Looking through one of their enemies books and shaking my head at some of the names and concepts - Cosmic Zoom, Captain Floop, Lady Seven (what happened to the other six? ^_^), Warwagon (a guy in a superpowered wheelchair for crying out loud!) Owww... Brain hurting...
Quote:
Do I actually say "blinding"? I know I said "blurring" a lot...
I don't think so, that was just me.
Quote:
Doug always gets 4 actions out of 8 possible (I see as I consult the chart); so maybe a SPD of 6 is more appropriate...
As 6 is half of 12 in the Hero system. So noted (STAMP) and approved! ^_^
Quote:
In regards to the STR issue...
Okay, I think maybe this is a bad idea. Doug has the STR I initially assigned him because I needed him to be able to do about half a Kill of damage with his bare hands -- to match his damage in V&V. But that gave me the "tossing motorcycles" problem that you noted for Leon -- Doug can lift about 250 or so pounds (say, one occupied hardsuit! with both hands, but that's it. I dealt with the overage in lift capacity by ignoring it most of the time, and inventing the "adrenal boost" bit to cover my butt in case I ever wanted to make use of it. What I was really asking is, is there any way we can put a limitation on the difference between Doug's actual lifting weight STR and his damage class STR, along the lines of "Only for damage calculation, except in times of emotional stress"?
Oh sure! There's two mechanics that cover this. On the extra strength "just when he really needs it" issue, that's a standard mechanic in Champs (and I think in Fuzion). It's called "pushing" and any character can do it. In a superhero milieu, you can automatically push for extra power points in any power (including STR), but instead of you paying 1 END every for every 10 points of power, it goes to a 1-1 for every point pushed!! And you can't more than double a power this way. So Doug could "push" from 20 to 35 STR in Hero, but he'd spend 17 END rather than just his normal 2 END! In Fuzion terms, END is expended 1-1 because of the point structure. IIRC, I think the push penalty is double END for pushing in Fuzion. He can push his STR from 4 to 7 and pay 10 END rather than his normal 4. He'd also be able to use that STR for damage purposes as well, for when he really needs to haymaker that Boomer now. Note that this is only for player characters and other important NPC heros. Normal NPCs aren't allowed to do this. And it's not meant to be abused. Characters shouldn't expect to be able to do this just any time they want, only for real sacrifices. But that last is a GM's call, and not a true game mechanic.
The other mechanic that covers what you need is a power called "Hand-to-Hand Attack", commonly abbreviated as (HA). Paraphrasing Hero 5th Edition here - Each die of HA adds to the regular damage from STR. To buy an HA in Hero, you spend 5 points per 1d6, and then apply a mandatory 1/2 limitation, Hand-to-Hand Attack to derive the final point cost. The limitation signifies that the HA only works if it adds to a character's damage dice based on STR. (in essence, HA is just a limited form of STR). It cannot function on its own, nor does it add to a character's STR in any other way or provide any figured characteristics. It costs END normally (unless specifically built with advantages like 0 END).
In Fuzion terms, 5 points = 1 point anyway, but go ahead and signify the limitation just to be clear. So in his powers, buy 3 points of HA to add to his regular STR damage. You could say that this just reflects his knowledge of how to apply his force in the best possible way, finding the weak spots or whatever. And then just keep in mind that if he needs to, he can "push" his STR, but it'll cost him significant END. Which is as it should be. That means that his normal damage is 7, like you need it to be (and Doug spends 7 END normally for it). But his actual lifting capacity is only at the STR 4 level. If he really needs it, he can push his damage up to 11, but he's going to spend a whopping 15 END for the privilege!!
Note that in lower powered "heroic" rather than "superheroic" settings, Hero requires that characters make an EGO roll to be able to push their power up to 5 extra points (1 PP in Fuzion), with +1 point for every 1 point they make their EGO roll by.
Whether the Knightsabers use the superheroic pushing rules or the regular heroic rules is your call.
Quote:
And I think that's a great idea. I'm not sure how many other worlds that might be, though, unless I buy up Lords of Order's entire line .
I think you mean Guardians of Order, don't you? And yes, I would recommend their entire line. ^_^
Quote:
( The Fuzion Guide to Sister Princess, anyone?
Make it stop, make it STOP!! AAAiiieee!!! ^_^
Ahem
Anyway. I'll post those EX character stats next in separate thread as requested.
-Logan

Messages In This Thread
Re: Doug's FUZION character sheet - by Morgan Champion - 10-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Dexterity - by drakensis - 10-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Re: Dexterity - by Logan Darklighter - 10-13-2002, 04:22 AM
Re: Dexterity - by Bob Schroeck - 10-13-2002, 05:33 AM
Re: Dexterity - by Logan Darklighter - 10-13-2002, 06:04 AM
Re: Dexterity - by Bob Schroeck - 10-13-2002, 06:26 AM
Re: Dexterity - by Logan Darklighter - 10-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Ah HAH! - by Logan Darklighter - 10-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Re: Dexterity - by Bob Schroeck - 10-14-2002, 12:44 AM
Getting close to wrapping up, I think. - by Logan Darklighter - 10-14-2002, 07:37 AM
Spellsinger - by Ebony - 10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Re: Spellsinger - by Valles - 10-17-2002, 12:40 AM
Re: Spellsinger - by Bob Schroeck - 10-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Expanded Martial Arts - by Logan Darklighter - 10-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Re: Expanded Martial Arts - by Bob Schroeck - 10-17-2002, 07:04 PM
One more thing... - by Bob Schroeck - 10-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Sentimental Old Fool - by drakensis - 10-19-2002, 12:35 AM
Shifters Playtest - by Morgan Champion - 10-19-2002, 06:39 AM
Damage - by Logan Darklighter - 10-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Re: Damage - by Bob Schroeck - 10-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Re: Expanded Martial Arts - by Logan Darklighter - 10-20-2002, 03:36 AM
Re: Expanded Martial Arts - by Bob Schroeck - 10-21-2002, 05:53 AM