Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting
Re: Ahh...
Quote:
Well, he does come out and break the Hokage's Law pretty blatantly right up front. Given the number of Konoha political enemies he's likely to develop in the relatively near future (and, indeed, the number he's likley to have *now*)...
(later correction - given the enemies that he is *actively* *cultivating*.)
*Chuckle* Recca stops short of breaking the law.
Quote:
He's been here for 20 years, he hangs around Ichiraku's frequently, he's got read-the-manga levels of knowledge on things, and he hasn't made any significant changes before now? He didn't stop the Uchiha massacre, didn't take Naruto under his wing earlier, didn't use his foreknowledge to minimize the damage of the nine-tailed fox, none of that?
Following the adoption fiasco, Naruto was taken from his care and Recca was forbidden from contacting him. This is established in the story.

Quote:
"As I finished my bow" should be "as I finished my bowl"
Thanks for the catch.

Quote:
The idea that people had been doing this sort of thing a lot, to the point of actually "perfecting" the technique seems really odd to me. The impression I'd always had was that the Fourth had basically pulled the seal together out of base principles and being Really Good at what he did, and that people hadn't really had any idea what he was doing.
This is established in canon. Gaara is at least the third or fourth jinchuuriki of Shuukaku (the actual number is established in canon, but I don't remember it off the top of my head), and the previous vessels were all killed by having Shuukaku removed from them. The Sandaime Kazekage's satetsu technique was developed to imitate a technique developed by one of said vessels.

Quote:
I dunno if Recca's actually supposed to have "read-the-manga" knowledge, or if the Naruto universe is supposed to be entirely alien to him. That is, the manga and anime didn't exist where he's from. Didn't get a clear sense of that from Aleh's stuff. Perhaps he could clarify that?
Heh. I thought that passage was in this chapter; I'd have specified otherwise. Recca's read the manga up to the conclusion of the fight with Hidan and Kakuzu... which is where the manga was when I started writing it.

Quote:
I'm not particularly fond of massive crossover crack elements - I'm looking at the Slayers, Sailor Moon and Dirty Pair references in particular... but eh, it's in-genre. After all, Aleh did say this was a crackfic, albeit stealth.

There's only one true crossover in the story, and it hasn't shown up yet. Sailor Moon is the distant past (and a slightly non-canon timeline, anyway). Dirty Pair isn't a true crossover -- Konoha just has vague analogues of Kei and Yuri.
As for Slayers... that's nowhere NEAR a crossover. Recca just created a fictitious identity of "Lina Inverse", disguised himself as that, and took his frustrations out on bandits. The series is referenced, sure, but, so far, only in the form of Recca being familiar with it.
Quote:
I notice that he tends to use Killing Intent as a "shut people up" technique a lot - by itself or in combination with minor genjutsu. Given that Killing Intent is essentially taking a deep, inner desire to cut someone down where they stand, and projecting it outwards through your face/voice/stance/aura... well, okay, there might well be techniques for shaping and showing Killing Intent even when none actually existed, but even so....
"Sensei doesn't like it when people speak out of turn. He really, *really* doesn't like it."
My, but he's got a bit of vendetta in him, doesn't he?
Killing intent is explained in the story as somewhat related to your description. All it takes to form it is a negative emotion. The strength of Recca's killer intent says more about his "bit of vendetta" than the fact that he uses it -- as Recca comments, he has trouble reigning in his killing intent.

Quote:
"He was my senior in the ninja business" seems a strange turn of phrase when you've said that Recca got into being a ninja in reaction to the events surrounding the death fo the 4th.
It was a different set of events that pushed him into becoming a ninja; Minato's death and those events just set the stage. As for the phrase, it's established earlier in the paragraph that Recca and Minato used to tease eachother about (and with) honorifics.
Finally, regarding Recca's old genin team... they were sent to the border to keep them away from Konoha. Additionally, there are border towns and the like... even if there are substantially fewer of them than there were three years ago.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting - by Aleh - 12-24-2007, 07:58 PM
thoughts - by Sirrocco - 12-25-2007, 01:25 AM
thoughts - by Evil Midnight Lurker - 12-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Re: thoughts - by Acyl - 12-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Re: thoughts - by Valles - 12-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Ahh... - by Sirrocco - 12-25-2007, 04:19 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Aleh - 12-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Evil Midnight Lurker - 12-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Aleh - 12-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Norgarth - 12-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Aleh - 12-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Necratoid - 12-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Re: Ahh... - by Acyl - 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Re: Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting - by Kaze no Ryuu - 12-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Re: Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting - by Aleh - 12-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Re: Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting - by Aleh - 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Re: Appreciation: Of Screwed-up Posting - by Sirrocco - 01-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Nits - by SkyeFire - 01-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Re: Nits - by Aleh - 01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Re: Nits - by ECSNorway - 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Re: Nits - by Aleh - 01-12-2008, 02:46 AM